Splitting up serving sizes for DH meals

Wondering what everyone does or if they split up dehydrated meals down to single serving instead of the 2 serving in the back country. Do you do it before you head out? out in the field? me personally sometimes a mtn house or a peak meal pouch is too much and i end up wasting some.

Is just splitting them up in a Ziplock once your out there the best? I'm usually pretty limited on water in the country I hunt so I wont normally have extra water to wash my jet boil out afterwards. may be a way for me to cut a little weight down in my pack too. Thank you

Ten Bears

WKR
I split mine up beforehand and use these. Also gives me a chance add some meat or spices to my meals.

OP
tydennison194
I split mine up beforehand and use these. Also gives me a chance add some meat or spices to my meals.

Oh sweet, thanks I will check that out for sure.

TaperPin

WKR
Ziplocks are hard to beat for that, but a vacuum bagger would be awesome. I’m with you on washing dishes - water only in the pot.

Don’t do what I did and prepack all the food that gets separated from their packaging into daily portions (stuffing, instant potatoes, dried banana chips, trail mix, carmel corn, etc) a month too early or everything will taste like plastic from the ziploc bags. Lol

I split them a few days before the hunt. Half in original package and half in Ziploc. Some hydrate them in Ziplocs, but I just reuse the original package a couple of times.

OP
tydennison194
Ziplocks are hard to beat for that, but a vacuum bagger would be awesome. I’m with you on washing dishes - water only in the pot.

Don’t do what I did and prepack all the food that gets separated from their packaging into daily portions (stuffing, instant potatoes, dried banana chips, trail mix, carmel corn, etc) a month too early or everything will taste like plastic from the ziploc bags. Lol
Oh dang man good call! I wouldn’t have thought about that.

OP
tydennison194
I split them a few days before the hunt. Half in original package and half in Ziploc. Some hydrate them in Ziplocs, but I just reuse the original package a couple of times.
Roger roger.

Doing the single servings like that do you feel like its still enough food/calories for you for a breakfast/dinner whatever you make it for?

use ziploc freezer bags and you can rehydrate right in that bag. That said I usually eat the whole thing....lol, and throw in some ramen or mashed potatoes as well. I do eat pretty light through the day though. I absolutely have to choke down anything for breakfast and it's usually just a clif bar or the equivalent. Lunch is usually just a bagel type sandwich and some trailmix or the like.

OP
tydennison194
use ziploc freezer bags and you can rehydrate right in that bag. That said I usually eat the whole thing....lol, and throw in some ramen or mashed potatoes as well. I do eat pretty light through the day though. I absolutely have to choke down anything for breakfast and it's usually just a clif bar or the equivalent. Lunch is usually just a bagel type sandwich and some trailmix or the like.
i hear you there i absolutley hate eating breakfast, wish there was breakfast in pill form, lol.

for lunches this year i think i want to that bagel sandwich and take a page out of Jason Hairstons book from some of those food videos he put up.

i hear you there i absolutley hate eating breakfast, wish there was breakfast in pill form, lol.

for lunches this year i think i want to that bagel sandwich and take a page out of Jason Hairstons book from some of those food videos he put up.
Ive done the "butthole" sandwich thing I learned on here for many years. Bagels, peanut butter, honey and bacon. All relatively shelf stable. I make them up ahead of time and freeze them. Keep a few in my pack at all times. Bagels hold up well versus regular bread and you don't really have to worry about refrigerating due to the nature of the ingredients. I did use some nutella last year on a few and that was a nice change of pace if you like chocolate. I prepackage each days food in a ziploc and just take as many bags as I think we will be out +1 for emergencies. All in all each day is about 2500 calories give or take.

Roger roger.

Doing the single servings like that do you feel like its still enough food/calories for you for a breakfast/dinner whatever you make it for?
I'm odd so it's all personal preference. If I'm going really hard like on a sheep or goat hunt, I have no appetite and literally need to force myself to eat so the most I can do is a single serving. Moose where all ya do is sit around, I could eat a 2-serving meal for breakfast and supper and still do a sandwich for lunch with all day snacks.

As others said, you can reheat in freezer ziplocs. But I see no need if I already have the mylar bags. Less messy garbage and there is no need to poisoning myself more than I already am. A hunting buddy was doing the ziploc thing to save a few ounces one year. A good portion would get a hole in them after a few days and even after he would inspect them and wait a few seconds after filling them to check for leaks, he would set them down and they would leak mtn house water all over his stuff.

OP
tydennison194
Ive done the "butthole" sandwich thing I learned on here for many years. Bagels, peanut butter, honey and bacon. All relatively shelf stable. I make them up ahead of time and freeze them. Keep a few in my pack at all times. Bagels hold up well versus regular bread and you don't really have to worry about refrigerating due to the nature of the ingredients. I did use some nutella last year on a few and that was a nice change of pace if you like chocolate. I prepackage each days food in a ziploc and just take as many bags as I think we will be out +1 for emergencies. All in all each day is about 2500 calories give or take.
I like that, may have to steal that one too😬

OP
tydennison194
I'm odd so it's all personal preference. If I'm going really hard like on a sheep or goat hunt, I have no appetite and literally need to force myself to eat so the most I can do is a single serving. Moose where all ya do is sit around, I could eat a 2-serving meal for breakfast and supper and still do a sandwich for lunch with all day snacks.

As others said, you can reheat in freezer ziplocs. But I see no need if I already have the mylar bags. Less messy garbage and there is no need to poisoning myself more than I already am. A hunting buddy was doing the ziploc thing to save a few ounces one year. A good portion would get a hole in them after a few days and even after he would inspect them and wait a few seconds after filling them to check for leaks, he would set them down and they would leak mtn house water all over his stuff.
Ah man good point didn’t think about em gettin holes an stuff in em. I like the mylar bag idea

Nova316

FNG
I split my peak meals up into two zip lock bags inside the original peak meal bag. I had a full peak meal once and it was to much food. This way you can still use the bag to heat your meal up in and it seems to help stop getting holes in them. I would like to try those mylar bags though.

Crusader

WKR
I've never done these sandwiches but have read that a lot of guys do. I love those ingredients so am sure I'd like the combination. One question though, aren't these kind of messy, doesn't the honey ooze out and get your hands sticky while eating?

Nova316

FNG
I've never done these sandwiches but have read that a lot of guys do. I love those ingredients so am sure I'd like the combination. One question though, aren't these kind of messy, doesn't the honey ooze out and get your hands sticky while eating?
If you combine it before and put it into a bag or vacuum seal it combined I find its super messy. I usually bring those single size packs of honey/peanut butter or premix it into a squeeze tube before my hunt. This way you can assemble it there and eat it without it being as messy.

If you combine it before and put it into a bag or vacuum seal it combined I find its super messy. I usually bring those single size packs of honey/peanut butter or premix it into a squeeze tube before my hunt. This way you can assemble it there and eat it without it being as messy.
Sounds good too! It is messy, but my fingers are always clean when elk hunting so I just lick them.....lol.

OP
tydennison194
I split my peak meals up into two zip lock bags inside the original peak meal bag. I had a full peak meal once and it was to much food. This way you can still use the bag to heat your meal up in and it seems to help stop getting holes in them. I would like to try those mylar bags though.
Thats a good idea. Thanks