Spinal Fusion

Long story short I broke L5 playing high school football 20 years ago. I re fractured this past October going to a chiropractor. (Bad move on my part) Then Monday I took my dad quail hunting and my buddy was showing us the new lake and was backing up to turn around and I guess wasn’t paying attention and backed off the culvert and flipped the buggy. Of course I landed on the steal bar on L5 shattering it through the facet joint. It hurt so bad I went into shock. Was real nauseous and real cold. So went to the doc and got a epidural and went to the neurosurgeon. I found out this afternoon. I’ll never be right again and have to have a fusion. They said it will help support but wont 100% fix it.
Anyone else have a fusion and still carry heavy packs, fish, hunt in general? My .30 nosler came in last week and got to shoot it with a suppressor and I feel it in my toes and that was pre breaking it again. Currently I can’t get my bow back but I think I can drop it down to 50lbs and make it work. Just curious If anyone else has had this done.
I’ve met with two docs now neither made it sound like this is going to be fun. I’m not giving up but piss on a stick I wasn’t ready for this.

Attachments

• 5E909CF3-C7CC-4016-B200-BDA1CF798CD4.jpeg
    5E909CF3-C7CC-4016-B200-BDA1CF798CD4.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Woitey

FNG
Your likely a bit younger than me, but I had a spinal fusion S1-L1 in 2015. Took a year to recover. It was not a good time.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
L4-S1 in 2008, I was 19. Took me a couple years to start feeling good again but that wasn’t until I took control of my recovery and stopped listening to the Dr that said I wouldn’t be the same. I’m 35 now and have zero limitations and feel great.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
knale87, you can’t just drop that with no details. What do you mean by ‘took control of my recovery’?

Stopped babying my back and feeling sorry for myself. Quit drinking as much and got all around healthier. I got active again and began strengthening my back. I had a good support system and actually set goals. I’m sure my age helped me bounce back too but that first year or so of me not doing anything didn’t help.

L5-S1 fusion just over two years ago. My surgery was done in December and I was packing my bull out of the woods the following October. I was pretty careful not to push too hard or fast when I was cleared for rehab as I certainly didn't want any setbacks or injury.
I had an interesting event that led to my fusion. An epidural abscess and subsequent staph infection situated right on the disc utterly destroyed the disc and was the reason for needing the surgery. I was in pretty good shape to begin with, though the infection and IV antibiotic treatment melted the weight off me. Bottom line, I was wrecked but got through it all and so will you. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

wyosteve

WKR
Are they wanting to fuse L5-S1 or L4-5? Will be a bit different result depending on which one.

03mossy

WKR
I had L4-L5 fusion Sept 28th. The recovery is no joke so heads up! I am now at the point where I am able to be up and do most things it just takes me longer and with pain. But each day about 7:00pm I am done! That’s when the pain really sets in and I need to just rest. PT is going great and I can tell I’m getting stronger. My biggest obstacle right now is I can’t sit without being in pain. Had to get a standing desk. At my boys basketball games I look like the nervous dad because I’m pacing the sidelines because metal bleachers are a no go! I lost a lot of flexibility also that I hope comes back. Yesterday was the first day I was able to tie my left shoe!

The key I think to a good recovery is the support system around you. Your not going to be able to do anything by yourself for the first month or so.

I started a thread about this before my surgery that has some good info.

Good luck!!

OP
S
Are they wanting to fuse L5-S1 or L4-5? Will be a bit different result depending on which one.
Probability l4-5
Im meeting the surgeon February 1st to do the final this is what we are doing meeting. What i don't like is how unsure everyone is on will this fix the pain and weakness.

03mossy

WKR
I would meet with at least 3 different surgeons. They all seem to have their own method and ideas on how to fix you. It’s a damn big decision and you need to be comfortable with it.

I had L4-L5 and L5-S1 done in December of 2010 at the age of 37.
Mine was an anterior lumbar fusion (https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/treatment/anterior-lumbar-interbody-fusion/). If this is an option for you, do it this way. The cut will be in your abdomen, but they can go right between your abdominal muscles, which means no muscle is actually cut. It reduces your recovery time quite a bit. I had my surgery at 8am and they had me on my feet and walking at 5pm.
Now, 12 years later, I am very active. I am on the elliptical just about every day. I have property in WV and can hike the trails, ride the 4-wheelers, fill feeders, etc, without any big restrictions. I do limit how much I carry because all the shock absorption is at my L3-L4 and I don't want to blow that one up too. The only time I am reminded that I have a back issue is if I spend too much time on the tractor. Something about the vibration will make my back ache for a couple of days. Nothing that a couple of Aleve and some rest doesn't cure, but it is there.

I went on an elk hunt this past September in CO. We averaged 9.6 miles and over 2000 feet of elevation change (up and down) per day for a 5 day hunt. I was carrying a day pack and my bow. My back was just fine. My knees on the other hand were not happy. :)

At the very least, see BOTH a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic spinal surgeon. One is an electrician and one is a carpenter, and getting both views will help you to make a decision.

-WARDOG-

FNG
in 2004 I was T-Boned by a drunk driver while I was driving my patrol car. I was in excellent condition at 40 years old and that is what saved me. My surgery had to be work-comp approved so that took a few years. The back pain was intense.,
Anyway my L4,5 S1 was fused. The surgeon went in from the back and the front. Used cadaver bone and some lag screws / rods. Recovery took about 6 months, full strength did not return for about two years. My surgeon told me I should get 10 years until the next levels up would need the same treatment.
I am now 15 years post surgery and it is time for the next level up to get fused due to the pain. You see, when a part of your spine is fused, it puts more pressure on the discs above and below the fusion when the spine is flexed.
I live with chronic pain and can read my body. I am quite active and tolerate what I can. Pain meds are for hunting season.

don_con_12

FNG
Classified Approved
I work in spinal fusion service. Feel free to reach out in PM, happy to be a sounding board for any specific questions.

ptmn

FNG
One bad day in Iraq got me a modified foraminotomy, spinal fusion with disc replacement. I can still do 80% of what I did before being wounded.

For me, the key to recovery was physical therapy. USSOCOM sent me to the Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze, FL. It was torturous, but it set me up for a good solid recovery.

Unfortunately everybody is different, so post surgical physical therapy may or may not be as successful for you. Before letting any neurosurgeon cut you, get a second opinion. If both opinions are the same or mostly similar, that is a good thing. If the opinions are different, get a third opinion. Cutting into your spine is a serious event, so don't take it lightly.

I got two opinions, one from the head of neurosurgery at a major military hospital. He's the one that told me to keep his findings and opinion to myself and get a second opinion from a high end civilian neurosurgeon to see if it was the same or similar and to get a third opinion if they were different.

Luckily for me, both were the same, so I went forward with my surgery.

I wish you the best and I wish you a speedy recovery