Spend my money: Amateur Custom Rifle Components

NSI

WKR
Hello friends,
I've gotten bored of swapping stocks and barrels on Tikkas. I'll be listing a few of my creations for sale shortly here.

I'd like to undertake building my own "semi-custom" light mountain rifle by screwing together a pre-fit barrel, action, and stock. There have been a lot of great threads here that narrowed my choices, and I'm now looking for some final thoughts.

Action:
Must have
-Pre-fit barrels widely available
-Light Weight (Titanium, Aluminum, <28oz LA)
-Fit widely available stock pattern like Rem 700 without any modification (I know the BAT machine actions have some difficulties here?)

Nice to have
-Swappable bolt heads
-Easy barrel change system
-Built in 20 MOA scope base

Brands on my radar
ARC, Terminus, Bighorn/Zermatt, Lone Peak, BAT, Defiance

Barrel:
Really looking for the most guidance here. I hear conflicting views on skinny steel (for hunting) vs carbon (wandering issues? trendy for no reason?). Will cut 20-22" for 5" ti suppressor use with 7 PRC.

Brands on my radar
Preferred, International, Proof, Bartlein, Hawk Hill, Benchmark

Stock:
Must have
-No traditional bedding required
-Arca built in, or easy way to add Arca
-Under 30oz (prefer under 25oz)
-Non-AICS mag system (they area heavy and noisy IME)
- <$1000 (MDT HNT 26 is awesome but $1600 is too steep for this first build)

Nice to have
-Prefer a classic stock over a chassis system (for snag-free)
-Prefer carbon over other materials

Brands on my radar
AG composites, McMillan, Wildcat, Boyd's, MDT, XLR, KRG

I appreciate the wisdom of the hive mind in advance.

Best,
-J

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Hello friends,
I've gotten bored of swapping stocks and barrels on Tikkas. I'll be listing a few of my creations for sale shortly here.

I'd like to undertake building my own "semi-custom" light mountain rifle by screwing together a pre-fit barrel, action, and stock. There have been a lot of great threads here that narrowed my choices, and I'm now looking for some final thoughts.

Action:
Must have
-Pre-fit barrels widely available
-Light Weight (Titanium, Aluminum, <28oz LA)
-Fit widely available stock pattern like Rem 700 without any modification (I know the BAT machine actions have some difficulties here?)

Nice to have
-Swappable bolt heads
-Easy barrel change system
-Built in 20 MOA scope base

Brands on my radar
ARC, Terminus, Bighorn/Zermatt, Lone Peak, BAT, Defiance

Bighorn

Barrel:
Really looking for the most guidance here. I hear conflicting views on skinny steel (for hunting) vs carbon (wandering issues? trendy for no reason?). Will cut 20-22" for 5" ti suppressor use with 7 PRC.

Brands on my radar
Preferred, International, Proof, Bartlein, Hawk Hill, Benchmark

Brux #2

Stock:
Must have
-No traditional bedding required
-Arca built in, or easy way to add Arca
-Under 30oz (prefer under 25oz)
-Non-AICS mag system (they area heavy and noisy IME)
- <$1000 (MDT HNT 26 is awesome but $1600 is too steep for this first build)

Nice to have
-Prefer a classic stock over a chassis system (for snag-free)
-Prefer carbon over other materials

Brands on my radar
AG composites, McMillan, Wildcat, Boyd's, MDT, XLR, KRG

Manners LRH
Hawkins M5 Hunter DBM

I appreciate the wisdom of the hive mind in advance.

Best,
-J

OP
NSI

NSI

WKR
Thanks, Darryle.

I love the MCS LRH stock, especially the vertical grip (which I neglected to mention as a nice-to-have in the original post). Unfortunately, it's quite heavy: over 35oz. It also pushes the price limit at a grand. Any other options come to mind?

-J

Thanks, Darryle.

I love the MCS LRH stock, especially the vertical grip (which I neglected to mention as a nice-to-have in the original post). Unfortunately, it's quite heavy: over 35oz. It also pushes the price limit at a grand. Any other options come to mind?

-J
Mesa Altitude would work for want you’re wanting. They’re 24oz

Wapiti1

WKR
Well.....this is s deep rabbit hole.

If you're requirements are indeed required, you limit options on the action. ARC Nucleus would be my choice. That is the only one in the list that has a changeable bolt head. I might be wrong on this, but can't think of any others. It's a great action, so no worries there. That said, building on a Tikka action would be prudent and you'll get the same result. And you would get a better trigger with the Tikka.

The only issue with a light weight all steel barrel is muzzle device installation, but that is fixable with a custom contour. Carbon doesn't wander. They just aren't as accurate, on the average, as all steel. All steel barrels can be stress relieved after final contouring, and they are. Carbon cannot. You can go with carbon, but I don't see a compelling reason to.

I would talk to K&P about a prefit barrel. I started using their barrels a few years ago and they are outstanding. Any of the barrel makers you mention are fine, though. There really isn't a bad maker anymore.

Echelon Rifles Versa stock. Super light. They do an Arca rail if you want.

Jeremy

OP
NSI

NSI

WKR
Thanks for the great suggestion on the Versa stock! Thanks also for the intel on steel barrels.

I don’t strictly require changing bolt heads. The Nucleus is an awesome action but very heavy - 34oz in the long action. Any other ideas?

-J

Thanks for the great suggestion on the Versa stock! Thanks also for the intel on steel barrels.

I don’t strictly require changing bolt heads. The Nucleus is an awesome action but very heavy - 34oz in the long action. Any other ideas?

-J
I think there are other places to try to cut weight if that’s the main objective. I’ve got 2 Proof carbon barrels currently that shoot just as well if not better than my other steel barreled rifles.

Unckebob

WKR
Well.....this is s deep rabbit hole.

If you're requirements are indeed required, you limit options on the action. ARC Nucleus would be my choice. That is the only one in the list that has a changeable bolt head. I might be wrong on this, but can't think of any others. It's a great action, so no worries there. That said, building on a Tikka action would be prudent and you'll get the same result. And you would get a better trigger with the Tikka.

The only issue with a light weight all steel barrel is muzzle device installation, but that is fixable with a custom contour. Carbon doesn't wander. They just aren't as accurate, on the average, as all steel. All steel barrels can be stress relieved after final contouring, and they are. Carbon cannot. You can go with carbon, but I don't see a compelling reason to.

I would talk to K&P about a prefit barrel. I started using their barrels a few years ago and they are outstanding. Any of the barrel makers you mention are fine, though. There really isn't a bad maker anymore.

Echelon Rifles Versa stock. Super light. They do an Arca rail if you want.

Jeremy

Zermatts have replaceable bolt heads.

OP
NSI

NSI

WKR
I've begun building an action comparison sheet here. It's open to editing if anyone wants a crack.

It would appear the Defiance Anti is a very hard value equation to beat?

-J

Wapiti1

WKR

-J
Then you have a lot of options in the non-interchangeable head realm. All are good. The Zermatt line as noted by Unckebob would be the line to look at. I haven't used any of them, so can't say first hand. ARC I have used, and they are very well made. That said, I choose actions based on features and ignore weight. If it needs to be lighter, I mill off the fat.

Jeremy

OP
NSI

NSI

WKR
Sadly I'm lacking a milling machine or expertise ;)

At the price ($1250) and weight (23oz) of a Defiance Anti / AntiX (or Pierce Shadow), what am I really giving up vs a 10oz heavier action like a Bighorn or ARC Nucleus, other than swappable bolt heads?

It looks like I'll have to burn 2.5lb on the barrel and 2lb on the stock. Then there's phantom weight from things like rails, rings, bottom metal, etc.

My Tikka 300WSM/6.5PRC in an MDT HNT26 short action with AICS mag is 7lb 11oz with a Sierra6BDX 3-18. It doesn't "feel" heavy, and shoots nicely, but I definitely notice the weight (and mag rattle) still hunting in the woods. I'm shooting for 7lb scoped on this 7PRC build. May not be doable, but that's the target. Would love 24 of those ounces to go towards a Leupold mark V...

-J

OP
NSI

NSI

WKR
CORRECTION: my tikka above is 7lb 10oz without mag in. 8lb even with mag in.

Prospective 7PRC build list:
Anti 22oz $1250
?Barrel 40oz $750
Mesa 25oz $625
Hawkins Obendorfer etc. 6oz $300
Talley 3oz $50
MarkVHD 26oz $2050
TriggerTech Diamond 3oz $230
Am I missing a Wyatt Box in here?

Looking like 125oz (96oz w/o optic) & $5255 ($3155 w/o optic)
That's 7lb 13oz..........or 6 pounds on the dot without optic. I don't think I'll be able to beat that, and I don't think it would be too pleasant to shoot in a lighter configuration.

Big remaining question is the barrel profile (some variation of light steel) and make.

-J

Unckebob

WKR

Anti 22oz $1250
?Barrel 40oz $750
Mesa 25oz $625
Talley 3oz $50
MarkVHD 26oz $2050

That's 7lb 13oz..........or 6 pounds on the dot without optic. I don't think I'll be able to beat that, and I don't think it would be too pleasant to shoot in a lighter configuration.

Big remaining question is the barrel profile (some variation of light steel) and make.

-J

I don't have my Zermatt action yet (any time now), My rifle with a 41 oz stock and a 55oz barrel is going to weigh just shy of 8lbs without optics. I literally have everything read to go except the action. A CF barrel and a lighter stock would get me in the 6lb range.

Tip I learned after I ordered my action: Northland Shooter Supply keeps them in stock - no wait vs ordering one like I did

manitou1

WKR

Anti 22oz $1250
?Barrel 40oz $750
Mesa 25oz $625
Talley 3oz $50
MarkVHD 26oz $2050

-J
I used a Bartlein Remington mag profile for my build. About a perfect contour for my likes. Not too heavy, not a skinny pencil.
Bugholes.com has them.

Reactions: NSI