Spartan Ascent Tripod / Trekking Poles System?

Spiro

FNG
I want to purchase a tripod for glassing / shooting & a pair of trekking poles.

Saw this from Spartan and thought it was a really cool way to combine both into one piece of gear.

Anyone actually use this type of system? Is trekking up a mountain with the poles then having to grab the other leg, screw the two legs back on a pain?

Unsure if the system makes sense in practice vs in theory.

So sound off below, you a separate tripod / trekking pole guy? Or does an all in one guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Spiro

Spiro

FNG
Good talk team, good talk

I have the Spartan Ascent gen 11 tripod. I have not had the opportunity to use it in a hunting situation, that will change this fall, an Alaskan spot and stalk grizzly hunt is booked. I have used the tripod in various shooting positions at the range, digiscoping with a large spotting scope, along with the trekking poles when hiking with a heavy pack. I have not had any issues screwing the legs back into the tripod head, and it doesn’t take but 30 to 60 seconds to accomplish. So far the system has easily met my expectations.

funkafied

FNG
I own the Ascent and really like it. It's a jack of all trades, master of none though. Trekking poles work well as poles, easy to put back together when I need to glass, head is good (not perfect) for glassing and shooting, not too heavy for all it packs in. Only minor drawback I've found is if you are solo hunting/hiking and want to pitch a tarp while glassing, you are sol above tree line. If you are with a partner or group who have a coupe extra poles between you, no problem.

gtriple

WKR
I used the Spartan Ascent Gen 2 Tripod for my bear hunt this season in absolutely brutal country (>60 degree slopes mostly).

I used it as a glassing tripod for binoculars and a Kowa 553 spotting scope, as a shooting tripod for my Tikka 6.5PRC, as trekking poles, as a tie-off for my bivy, and even as my center pole for my Seek Outside tent (Spartan sent me a prototype in-line adapter).

Using the tripod legs as trekking poles is amazing. They are MUCH stronger and stiffer than other lightweight trekking poles. I swapped with my hunting partners and compared them to the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork, Peax Sissy Stix Backcountry Elite, Argali Carbon X, and the cheap Cascade Mountain Tech aluminum poles from Amazon. They don't bend or flex like any of the others. The handles on the others might be a little more comfortable, but if you are gripping the poles correctly, then it really doesn't matter.

The one suggestion I'd make is to purchase the claw feet. In soft ground, the straight legs just punch right through.

Safe to say that the Ascent is officially my favorite and most versatile piece of gear in my entire pack. 100% worth the money.

As a side note, my other ultralight tripod setup uses the full Wiser Precision QuickStix system. It is definitely lighter than the Spartan setup, but it is not nearly as easy to get setup to glass (takes forever) or to actually glass from, and it is really a pain to shoot from. Plus using the trekking poles as a tent pole is not as strong.

Argali poles w/ QuickStix = 19.7oz
Wiser Precision Third Leg + Nighthawk head = 13.5oz
Wiser Quick Clip = 3.1oz
Argali X3 Trekking pole adapter (to use as tent pole) = 1oz
Total = 37.25oz

Spartan Ascent Gen 2 = 53.7oz
Spartan trekking pole heads x2 = 3.7oz
Spartan in-line adapter = 1.7oz
Total = 59oz

Last edited:
OP
Spiro

Spiro

FNG
What an awesome response guys thank you! Super helpful

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi Spiro we are Rob's largest retailer and located state side, if you have any question on the Spartan stuff call me anytime.

Paul

That's awesome. I'd recommend picking up the claw feet from Happy Antelope for the tripod legs if you are going to use them as trekking poles.
Will do! I learned that Happy Antelope is here in the US… I would have gone that route if I knew that before I ordered from the UK… Oh well. I think I may need the claw feet and the heavy optic mount as well.

gtriple

WKR
Will do! I learned that Happy Antelope is here in the US… I would have gone that route if I knew that before I ordered from the UK… Oh well. I think I may need the claw feet and the heavy optic mount as well.
Forgot to mention you'll need the tripod trekking pole heads if you want to use them as trekking poles.

Another thing I'd recommend is getting the Wiser QuickStix so you can attach two of the legs together. Makes it easy to carry them together if you need a free hand so you won't drop one. And shooting off of it is nice.

Make sure you tighten up the male end of the Davros prior to taking it out. Mine came pretty loose from the factory.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep we have it all this side of the pond! Need any help ever, just give us a call, text or drop me message.

Paul
[email protected]

Forgot to mention you'll need the tripod trekking pole heads if you want to use them as trekking poles.

Another thing I'd recommend is getting the Wiser QuickStix so you can attach two of the legs together. Makes it easy to carry them together if you need a free hand so you won't drop one. And shooting off of it is nice.

Make sure you tighten up the male end of the Davros prior to taking it out. Mine came pretty loose from the factory.
Honestly, thank you! That’s all very helpful information! I appreciate it I will look into all of the above, and post pics when I get my stuff in this week. I’m new here and it’s nice to get welcoming and relevant information.