Southwest West Virginia rut question

Lowg08

WKR
I’m not asking for spots or WMA or anything of that sort. I already have a plan of action. I’m just trying to cement the dates. I will be going to one of the bow only counties. My only question is when is the general time to catch some rut action for a long weekend.

Its determined mostly by daylight hours (not the moon). The big sunrise/set changes start around early November for the middle latitude of Virginia. So if you are down near tennessee area id imagine itd be 2nd week maybe. Im from crentral virginia, so unless your latitude is close, you may be more south and later into mid November.

I’ll be going to Logan county, West Virginia. I was already thinking mid November. That is only a guess. Our rut in western WNC usually starts first or second week of December into early January. So my knowledge is mute.

I’ll be going to Logan county, West Virginia. I was already thinking mid November. That is only a guess. Our rut in western WNC usually starts first or second week of December into early January. So my knowledge is mute.
I would gamble mid November. I hunt property 2 hours north of where i live and the rut is first week november ever year. Here closer to me the rut is around the 14th every year. Crazy difference

I hunt Wayne County ever year..have property there...rut is pretty close to rifle season...last few years been a little warm, mid 50s, week after Thanksgiving has been a little better for activity. I know rut is trigger by daylight hours but I don't think they move a lot during the day when it's warm. Logan County good luck...at least the crop will be out by then and you will just have to deal with the junkies.

I hunt the bow only counties and in the north central part of the state. The week of Veterans Day always seems to be the best for me as far as daylight rutting action. The mature bucks seem to be on the move by that time but the majority of does haven’t yet gotten hot, brings up the competition.

That said, the nice thing about the bow only counties is with no rifle season to disturb the deer, you see pretty good rutting action throughout November. Early December can be good as well.

Last edited:
BFazz thank you for the info. I may hit it just right then.
i already find needles in the parking areas at home. It’s a sad thing.

week of thanksgiving and the week before thanksgiving would be about right down there, as mentioned before, dont leave anything valuable ($20 and above) in your truck, meaning the bed, or inside. Or it will be gone when you come back

I’ll be in WV nov 11-14 and Virginia. 18-22 and then North Carolina rest of the year.

This past year in northeast TN, chasing picked up nicely the week before Thanksgiving and the whole week of Thanksgiving was excellent hunting. The 18th-22nd should hit it nicely, as far as timing.

Back