South Dakota late season January 2022....Good or Bad idea?

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
I hope the New Year finds everyone healthy and making plans for your new adventures. I wanted to see what feedback some of you might have on the idea of going on a late season DYI mid January (2023) pheasant hunt to NE South Dakota. My small posse from CO had conjured up the idea a couple of months ago but with the snow, wind and cold we are scratching our heads trying to decide if this is a bad/good idea or not. We are not afraid to work for a few late season birds. Some of the media clips look like brutal conditions just to travel through SD much less hunt with dogs. Any feedback would be appreciated as we make our final plans. Thanks!

KurtR

WKR
I pretty much don’t start hunting them till end of December through Jan. Weather can be a crap shoot but you also get to see a lot of birds. Could also ice fish to.

jmez

WKR
December and January is my favorite time to hunt them as well. Not now. Look at the bird season pictures thread. That is west central South Dakota. It is a mess.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Being honest. Not worth the trip. Cattails are froze solid with the freezing rain and snow we got. Went out the other day. Called it a season after the first 200 yards. Usually save most of my hunting for late season when everyone else clears out.

KurtR

WKR
Went and walked a shelter belt it was an easy limit. Will go again today. Wind has blown hard you can walk on top of the snow . Just go to the side of the shelter belt that’s not full of snow and pile them up.

OP
M

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, thanks so much for the feedback you gave me some things to ponder. Humm....ice fishing...a cast and blast.... that never entered our minds but maybe it would help add to the SD experience.. We are just looking for a good time with a little hunitng mixed in. Thanks guys I'll share your insight.