South Carolina cold vs. Wyoming cold

I always get a little chuckle when I hear people that live back east talking about how cold it gets where they’re from. No doubt about it, a damp cold is worse than a dry cold, but it always reminds me of talking to folks in interior Alaska in the winter time and hearing stuff like, “Yeah, it’s 60 below zero, but it’s a dry cold”. It’s only early November and already some of our interior villages have had temps pushing -30°F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
That is weird because all Carolina guys I guided looked like the Michelin man with full face masks two pairs of gloves and full boxes of hot hand warmers in their day packs. There eyes about bug out of their heads when you wash the blood off your hands in the snow.

No doubt elevation is part of the reason...sun intensity hits different.

I spent my first 28 years in North Dakota before moving to Alaska. Have worked in interior AK in the winter, the north slope, roughnecked in NW North Dakota on an open-air oil rig, had to feed cows in "once in a few century" blizzards, etc. Like others, the coldest I've ever been was also on an all night tree stand sit when it was 40 degrees and damp. That's because I was a dumbass and wasn't prepared!

Are you guys high? I'll take 40 degrees and a hooded sweatshirt with a rain jacket over having to wear so many clothes that you can't pick up Gatorade bottle on the floor and require goggles, so your eyes don't freeze 11/10 days!

Here's a good article explaining why it feels hotter in norther latitudes during summer months. This would not be applicable on days with cloud cover. For 1/3 of the year, the angle of the sun provides no solar heating in AK. I doubt there is enough of a change in latitude from Wyoming to South Carolina that this particular phenomenon comes into play.

That is weird because all Carolina guys I guided looked like the Michelin man with full face masks two pairs of gloves and full boxes of hot hand warmers in their day packs. There eyes about bug out of their heads when you wash the blood off your hands in the snow.

That's funny right there...I have set of furnace base layers...5 yrs later have never worn them on western hunt, never needed anything thicker than the 150 areowool, and I have seen temps in the teens and 30-40mph winds and snow....but I have worn them evey year on coastal duck hunts in Jan. under 5mil waders. It's interesting for sure.

RunNGunSC

FNG
I’m from SC and planning my first Elk hunt next year. Picking units came down to season dates and access because I don’t really know what to expect. I snowboard in WV, and once in Utah. Am I over weighing the weather concern? looking At CO and WY. Montana’s later start worried me.

I’m from SC and planning my first Elk hunt next year. Picking units came down to season dates and access because I don’t really know what to expect. I snowboard in WV, and once in Utah. Am I over weighing the weather concern? looking At CO and WY. Montana’s later start worried me.
If your just starting out pick a unit you can get a tag...weather may or may not be an issue....seen opening days in WY with snow and have seen opening days in the 60s...same unit.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your just starting out pick a unit you can get a tag...weather may or may not be an issue....seen opening days in WY with snow and have seen opening days in the 60s...same unit.
What he said-don't let weather be the determining factor unless you feel uncomfortable driving in snow. Elk do elk stuff in hot weather or cold. Sure there are adjustments but go when you can.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm gonna need a list of names and addresses. We will remove these thin skinned miscreants from the gene pool here in the Carolinas. I know a guy in Florida that will bus or fly folks away in a moment's notice :)

65Grendel

Lil-Rokslider
To many out of state people. Drones flying this weekend. Headless full elk on the ground.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I knew what you meant. I own a tiny home there so I am excluded from your shunning. My tiny home community

1667863436872.png

parshal

WKR
I grew up in Georgia and went to college in Alabama. I moved to Colorado over 20 years ago and will never go back. 10 in Colorado is like 25 in Georgia. The cold down south goes right through all your clothes. Here, you can put on enough clothes to stay warm without factoring the wind, of course. I'm staying here more for the summers, though. You can wear long pants and sleeves when it's over 90. You'd die in the south if you had to move around with long sleeves.

FLATHEAD

WKR
My BIL just flew down to the AL. Gulf Coast for Thanksgiving.
He's constantly complaining about how cold it is.
He lives in Boise.