Souped up Air Guns For Small Game. Show Me.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone have an exceptional air gun there are proud of that serves as a squirrel slayer? Let’s see some photos and tell us about your rig.

FLATHEAD

WKR
No pics, but back in the 70's-80's as a kid I took countless
gray squirrels, rabbits, Bobwhite quail, and even Mallards
and Wood ducks with a .177 cal. Crosman pump.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a Benjamin .22cal pump pellet rifle that flat out works.......when it holds air. I've already sent it to their repair facility twice now to have the seals replaced, and it needs it again over about 10 years. That's unacceptable. One of those old Crosman's lasted me years and years without any troubles at all. These days I just use my scoped Henry lever-action .22LR with .22 shorts going 710fps. It's deadly.

Been jonesing for a pneumatic tack driver for shooting stuff on the 6 acres at home but havent been able to justify it yet..

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been jonesing for a pneumatic tack driver for shooting stuff on the 6 acres at home but havent been able to justify it yet..
You have been a good boy so reward yourself with a new varmint killer-and send some photos.

Mojave

WKR
The FX is the goldstandard, but there are about 2 dozen companies now. The best thing you can do is call someone like Arizona Air Guns or Utah Air Guns and get someone knowledgeable on the line.

You need quite a bit of equipment to shoot a Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP) air rifle, you can use a thing similar to a bike pump, but you'll be buying a compressor bowser, dive tanks and everything else soon enough.

Cheap PCP's are a gateway drug to expensive PCP's.

I had a Benjamin Marauder and loved that thing! One of my buddies was shooting with me and traded me straight across for a Remington 700 SPS 22-250 with a Leupold vxll scope. Still one of the biggest regrets I have to this day! They are on the cheap end of the PCP's but I was happy with mine

Anyone have an exceptional air gun there are proud of that serves as a squirrel slayer? Let’s see some photos and tell us about your rig.
RWS Diana is a great value in performance air rifles. I tried a bunch until I got one of those. It's been my squirrel/skunk/varmint slayer for about 7-8 years now and shoots quarter sized groups at 40 yards with very reasonably priced pellets.

MattB

WKR
The FX is the goldstandard, but there are about 2 dozen companies now. The best thing you can do is call someone like Arizona Air Guns or Utah Air Guns and get someone knowledgeable on the line.
This

They sold me a .22 Benjamin Kratos and it has been a good rifle. I would say great but my first one took a dump a year+ after I bought it. But then again, the company shipped me a brand new one for free to replace it. So maybe great? A friend has one in .25 cal and has killed squirrels to 85 yards with it.

Might want to check the legality of what's going on in that photo before you post it online.
Those look like non-native Eurasian Collared Doves to me. Not sure the regs in whatever state that was in, but in many states there’s no limit or legal means of take on those. Like nutria or starlings or house sparrows or pheasants or chuckers….wait, who’s making these rules?

Last edited:
Those look like non-native Eurasian Collared Doves to me. Not sure the regs in whatever state that was in, but in many states there’s no limit or legal means of take on those. Like nutria or starlings or house sparrows or pheasants or chuckers….wait, who’s making these rules?
Yup, good catch. I took a closer look and that's what they are. Fire away! ha, ha. And yes, we protect "some" non-natives (feral horses and burros anyone?) but not others. Weird.

Yup, good catch. I took a closer look and that's what they are. Fire away! ha, ha. And yes, we protect "some" non-natives (feral horses and burros anyone?) but not others. Weird.
Yeah, people are funny.

It’s not as “souped up” as some, but I shoot a Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100, .22 cal. It can really push those pellets out there, with plenty of power to kill squirrels and grey diggers, etc. I’ve killed a few at 40 yards.

The downside of this gun is that it’s so heavy and poorly balanced that it’s nearly impossible to shoot off hand. Plus the stock trigger is garbage, even at the lightest setting.

Yeah, people are funny.

It’s not as “souped up” as some, but I shoot a Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100, .22 cal. It can really push those pellets out there, with plenty of power to kill squirrels and grey diggers, etc. I’ve killed a few at 40 yards.

The downside of this gun is that it’s so heavy and poorly balanced that it’s nearly impossible to shoot off hand. Plus the stock trigger is garbage, even at the lightest setting.
That's the rifle I had before the RWS Diana. It was pretty good. Smooth shooter for a barrel cocker. It's pretty astounding what these air rifles are capable of. A friend of mine wanted to know what kind of air rifle I used, so I told him and he went out and bought one. He tested it on a young feral hog at a waterhole one day. 40 lb.er or so. Killed it with one shot to the head with a .22 cal. RWS barrel cocker. Amazing.