Son's 1st elk hunt

Scoot

WKR
Last year my son and I were supposed to go on his first elk hunt- on a general tag in MT with archery gear in Sep. I've hunted MT general three times with bow and arrow and had a great time each trip, so I was excited to get my son out there. However, my dad got sick and I spent virtually all of June - mid Oct in the hospital with him. We returned our tags to MT and were lucky enough to get a refund. My dad passed on Oct. 10th and I'm extremely glad I made the decision to stay home with him.

We again drew general elk tags in MT and we now have a 2nd chance at my son's 1st elk hunt. He and I are super excited! I'm not a total newbie at elk hunting (plenty with more experience here, but lots with less) and I feel fairly confident in my ability to put an elk in front of him on public ground at some point. However, I'm wondering about other possible options in MT. I'm not interested in going through an outfitter, but I would consider a reasonable trespass fee or Block Management Options too. I've tried two type I BMAs (I think that's what it's called when you check in at a place and they take any and all hunters) and I have no interest in ever going back to either place. In spite of what the land owners said, there clearly were no elk around and I felt like they were simply trying to get us to sign in to get them an increased payment (don't even know if that's how it works, but it sure seemed like it). So... I'm hesitant to do another one like that. But, I believe it's type II BMAs that limit the number of hunters and I'd be all ears if someone had some good suggestions in that department. If asking for that is akin to asking for the coordinates to a great elk hunting spot on public land, I apologize! I'm not sure it's the same thing, but if it is too similar, feel free to disregard that question/request. I could see how people might protect that info carefully and I'm not trying to infringe or step on toes.

Mostly, I'm just looking for possible alternative ideas on how I can get my son the best experience possible on his 1st elk hunt. Feel free to reply in the thread or PM me with a response if you have any helpful info.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Scott

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Block management areas are definitely hit or miss. I wouldn’t put too much stock in picking the right one unless you have scouted it prior and know when and where it holds critters. Rifle season they can be more useful but lots other people have the same idea.

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Thanks damxam- that was my impression. I've got a buddy who has hunted one in western MT during rifle and they've had great hunts there. However, it sounds like the place is pretty devoid of elk during the archery season. I imagine a lot of places are like that. From what I've heard, one of the BMAs we hunted can be like that- generally dead during archery, but once a lot of snow moves in the elk move down into that area.

Alternate suggestions appreciated!