Some help from my friends???

Slight background: I’m from Indiana and transplanted in TX for work so I don’t get to burn leather in the mountains. In 2020 I had a crew of about 12 to go to CO and elk hunt for the first time together. I was the only one that made an appearance. So, now I’m hooked and have gone totally solo for two years… hoping to make it three this year.

The problem I am having is finding the elk (or even fresh sign). I’ve hunted a large OTC unit but just can’t seem to have many encounters. Actually only physically seen 3 in two years (guess I should’ve shot that cow on opening day instead of filming it). I have waypoints and do my escouting and read as much as possible so I feel like I’m putting in the effort at home. When I’m the mountains I do not go too far into the wilderness that I cannot get an animal out alone so I base camp but I try not to hunt off of a trailhead. I’m questioning if I need to make a change. The questions I have are:

1. How long do you stay in an area before moving? 1 day? 3 days? What is considered an “area” exactly? 5sq miles? A drainage? A hillside?
2. How far do you move if not seeing sign? One drainage? Three miles? Twenty miles? Different unit? I’ve only hunted one unit extensively even though I try to have different drainages to hunt. But not tons of fresh sign.
3. Should I stay in a unit I know even if I haven’t had much luck or move units entirely? I know unit 43 in CO has elk in it. And it also has elevation change from 6k-11k+. So I’m not sure if I am just looking in the wrong areas. I’m usually pushing 5-10miles per day through thick terrain at 9-10k elevation. Also, bowhunting only.

I’m just at a loss, but not ready to give up. I’ve had encounters chasing bugles without seeing animals and looking back I know what I probably should have done in each instance. I feel I have the knowledge to get it done but I just don’t have the encounters to verify my knowledge. Any help ya’ll could pass along would be extremely helpful.

I need to make a decision soon if I want to have enough time to escout a new unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJB

WKR
Glass drive glass glass drive glass drive glass

The hardest part of elk hunting is finding them. Cover lots of area until you find fresh sign or see them.

As for what to specifically do and don't.......give more background of the time of year what you see hear smell all will help to give better advice.

If elk are walking you need to be running, if they're running you need to be driving!

OP
Portabeardo
The unit I hunt really doesn’t have a lot of areas to glass that I’ve found. Really thick aspen groves and wooded areas with pines. Sporadic grassy areas but not really any where you can see for more than a couple hundred yards max.

Prob going to hunt first couple weeks of archery season. Possible (but less likely) around the 15-20th.

You may look into a pack-out type service, since you said you stay within range to be able to pack out alone which is smart. That'll allow you to venture out further if you catch that feeling to head over the next ridge. Or find someone to pack out as a team, you don't need to hunt with them yall can go different directions but both agree if somebody makes a kill you'll help eachother out.

Marble

WKR
If you are archery hunting in 43 I would go closer to 11k, between there and 10k to find elk.

Backpack in 2 to 4 miles to 10 k, then start up each morning and keep covering ground until you find animals. You'll know when you're getting into them. Walk the edge of big timber patches until you find a major trail and also glass the opposite side. Be there in glassing position to see the opposite side before first light. Watch animals go into bedding and then go after them.

Have the mindset to do whatever it takes to get the animal out. You have the rest of the year to regret not going to the spot was top tough to go too and also remember your successes.

I've hunted 43 for 20 years. If you haven't been into animals then you need to move.

Also, that area is as steep and unforgiving as any other, but there are trails that can get you where you want to be that aren't horrible. Very very little 4 wheeler access which is good. The trail system there is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
Portabeardo
Marble… thanks for the advice. I’ve been hunting more on the west side of 133 but there isn’t much near 11k over there. East side of 133 had way too many people for my liking. I still have a couple areas I want to check out and a couple that have some elk for sure but I can do that efficiently over a couple days until I acclimate better to the elevation. Then I may find some higher altitudes. I don’t own a bivy tent but I might need to look into one for at least occasional one nighters.

cgasner1

WKR
They are way more responsive in the dark also if you can’t glass due to vegetation it may be worth going in a little earlier or staying a little later to try and locate a bugle

I like hunting solo too, but I have found that if you can find one (just one) hunting buddy that is a legit hunter then it helps as a non-res. My reasoning is because I’m a competitive guy and my buddy is too, together we challenge the hell out of each other, which allows us to hunt harder and go further. I have tried to bring in another guy (a third) and that didn’t work out well because he bitched the whole time about everything and thought it was going to be like hunting whitetail. 43 is sorta a steep sob, until you compare it to Idaho. Keep moving until you find elk. Don’t stay in a place that “looks good”. Sometimes they’re in places that don’t “look good”.

Last edited:
OP
Portabeardo
I like hunting solo too, but I have found that if you can find one (just one) hunting buddy that is a legit hunter then it helps as a non-res. My reasoning is because I’m a competitive guy and my buddy is too, together we challenge the hell out of each other, which allows us to hunt harder and go farther. I have tried to bring in another guy (a third) and that didn’t work out well because he bitched the whole time about everything and thought it was going to be like hunting whitetail. 43 is sorta a steep sob, until you compare it to Idaho. Keep moving until you find elk. Don’t stay in a place that “looks good”. Sometimes they’re in places that don’t “look good”.

That has been my issue too. Nobody wants to commit to do what it takes. I’m 43 years old now and everything hurts more each day on my body. But September on comes once a year so I pretend I’m 28 again. Now I just need a real 28 year old to go with me to help pack out

cogill

FNG
Fellow struggling Colorado elk hunter here. My hunting partner and I have had opportunities but few and far between. My advice would be to stay on the move if you aren't hearing or seeing them. We'll move through multiple drainages a day as we make our way through an area. Once you've covered it don't be hesitant to move. How far to move depends on how far you can glass and call from where you were previously. E scouting can also help you define "areas". Don't hesitate to relocate. For what it's worth all of encounters with elk they have came in quiet.