Some christensen rifles can't be rebarreled...?

DaleW

WKR
So my brother is looking to rebarrel his Christensen Mesa 28 nosler to a carbon 300 win mag barrel. But before he talked to Christensen I recommended sending it off to rbros rifles to have Travis do the chambering, rebareling and bedding into his new stock. My rifle I use for everything is a rbros apex hunter and I could not be more pleased with it. It literally shoots factory ammo through the same hole and Travis is awesome to deal with.

Anyway, I emailed Travis about it and he said a lot of Christensen rifles can't be rebarreled because of the loctite they used on the barrel threads. He said he tried to do one years ago and he ended up ripping the the threads out of the receiver. That just seems so crazy to me that they would do that. I sent Christensen an email about this but have not gotten a response.

Has anyone had a Christensen rebarreled and have you heard of this loctite issue? If so do they still do this?

Dale

Wrench

WKR
Most thread lockers release by 400*F. I did one that wild west barreled and it made me nervous. I ended up parting right at the action to release the tension and warming up the barrel....then it was easy.

83cj-7

WKR
Loctite will come loose with heat. If they use something like Rockset, good freaking luck! I have had to have barrel cut of and re threaded after using Rockset on muzzle devices. Now I just use red Loctite and when I want it off, I get it good and warm(not red) with a torch.

If they use something like Rockset, good freaking luck! I have had to have barrel cut of and re threaded after using Rockset on muzzle devices.
Did you soak the end of the barrel / muzzle device in water, before trying to remove the muzzle device?

OP
DaleW

DaleW

WKR
Loctite will come loose with heat. If they use something like Rockset, good freaking luck! I have had to have barrel cut of and re threaded after using Rockset on muzzle devices. Now I just use red Loctite and when I want it off, I get it good and warm(not red) with a torch.
Interesting. My guess is they probably used something like that in the past and it made their rifles a pain to work on.

They did respond to my email and said they currently do not loctite the barrel threads. But who knows what they've done in the past I guess.

OP
DaleW

DaleW

WKR
I would be leery of any gunsmith that doesn’t know how to get around loctite. Heat and a relief cut is all you need.
It was probably something more significant than just loctite. I'm sure he knows how to deal with loctite on the barrel threads.

SDHNTR

WKR
I would be leery of any gunsmith that doesn’t know how to get around loctite. Heat and a relief cut is all you need.
There is zero reason to be leery or Travis Redell of RBros, ever! If he says he won’t do it, he has his reasons and it’s not inexperience. I’ve used some of the best, but Travis is THE best.