Solo

Jotis

WKR
Looks like I will be archery elk hunting solo this year. Looking to spend 2 weeks out in Colorado. I have hunted out there the last 3 years. Possible looking to hook up with someone. I have all the gear needed.

Solo;

Love this topic. Been doing it mostly solo for my short hunting career since 1995. Been doing it so long that there are only very few I would even consider hunting with. No way I’d hunt with a total stranger. Heard too many horror stories……

Go solo and get comfortable with the things that go bump in the night. So much more rewarding doing it all yourself. Including the brutal pack outs 😉

I have to agree. I am planning (hopefully if I draw a tag) my 3rd solo hunt this year. Only been elk hunting 3x. 1st hunt was with a buddy. Great hunt and memories but had to cut the hunt short 4 days because he had to get back for work emergency. Next hunt he canceled week before, really thought about not going but my wife talked me into going by myself. Bought a garmin GPS with SOS and went. Although I have not harvested an elk yet. My 2 solo hunts are some of my most memorable and cherished of my life. Been to Colorado 3x, going to Wyoming this year. Maybe! I'm an archery hunter so if Wyoming doesn't pan out, I will more than likely go back to Colorado. I say just go! What I learned is just take your time, enjoy every moment and always be aware of your surroundings. Buy an inreach for messaging your family and emergencies.

Try posting on the “rokslide rally point” for better results.

Always hard to find people going to the same unit let alone the same “area” within the unit

Solo can be morale beater. Helps with companion if nothing else to “chat with around the campfire”.

Usually when I go with buddy we go our separate ways. Communicate via satellite during the day to share what we are seeing, and then linkup at dark.

But there to help and improve morale ha.

But flip side is that they can pull ya down with “this sucks,” “shoulda gone there,” etc etc etc.

Gotta make sure companions are on the same page with everything including expectations. And a Plan B in case somebody wants to leave early or stay late.

You’ll really find out what kind of “companion” they are when the tuff gets tuff during a hunt.

I hate whining and ya gotta be able to bite your tongue and let them vent without inflaming (arguing) the situation.

I’m in Colorado - won’t archery hunt because I’ll never be that good (or at least I don’t think I would be). I’m usually out scouting in sept

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The advantages to Solo hunting is endless but very challenging. Wake up you when you want to wake up. Sleep when and where you want to sleep. Eat what, and when you want. Go on whatever trail that pulls you in its direction. The freedom to make changes in your plans at the spur of the moment. Not having to be somewhere for a rendezvous. No time limits. No discussions on what to do or where to go or what may be the best strategy. Total freedom and total responsibility for whatever happens, good or bad. Makes you more aware, You can't take a foolish step or take silly chances which makes you a better hunter and more safety conscious in everything you do. You slow down which allows you to see and read more sign, to hear more game, and therefore see more game. You make half the noise and the wind carries the scent of only one hunter. Makes you much more aware of the wind direction and thermals. You rest when you feel you need to. You can sit in one spot and listen the wind rustling through the Aspen or Dark Timber and just get away from humanity and embrace the wilderness. The day is yours.

Read1t48

WKR
Still Hunter’s comments are just about perfect in describing my experience.

I absolutely love it but it takes time to get comfortable with being alone in the woods and to become self reliant. Definitely get an InReach or similar device. I carry a back up GPS but run all maps from my phone. I leave a plan with the Mrs. I spend lots of time learning various woodsmanship skills.

I workout year round so I can pack out my animals solo. 2022 elk was killed six miles from the vehicle. It took 2 days and 27 miles in total. Preseason scouting includes more than just elk sign; I scout creek bottoms, culverts, cool areas, and meat drop locations.

I know my body well and pay close attention to hydration and the little things that keep me going. My first aid kit is bigger than many I’ve seen. It’s not filled with band aids but things that can actually save my life and I know how to use all of it.

Your senses are never better than when hunting alone. You learn to take very calculated risks. In the old days, with a hunting partner, I would walk across logs, sometimes 10 to 14 feet off the ground that spanned all the way across a creek or ravine.
I don’t do that solo. I look for bees; I listen more intently and I check my six more often.
It all translates into more successful hunting in my opinion. There were many times with a partner that I would never hear elk after calling because they were rustling around in their pack, taking a pee, or a sip of water. When you are hunting solo, everything is in your control and if you are not making any noise everything you hear is coming from the woods around you. That is priceless.
It will make you mentally tough.