Sociology and numbers of hunters

I think children not going outside anymore and living like a veal calf is more likely the cause.
During the pandemic, there was a massive influx of people heading outdoors. More hunters, hikers, campers etc etc. More kids hunting than ever before because they didn’t have school and sports to contend with.

All I heard from people (on this site and many others) was how they wished people would just go back inside.

And then in the next breath, they complain about people not understanding where their food actually comes from.

Coldtrail

WKR
I worry more about the "quality" of todays new hunters rather than quantity, technology all around has been able to put alot of people in the woods that perhaps shouldnt be. If you want to thin out hunters, it would be easy:
1. Any state that allows baiting...ban it
2. If you are caught shooting any game from any vehicle you lose the vehicle and hunting privilages.
3. Make it a crime to post any kill on social media
4. Make it a felony if you post that kill & have heavy metal music playing on the above video.
5. Death penalty if that video is playing Nugent's Fred Bear

I say some of this in fun, but I think there is a large population of hunters that just don't know any better & didn't learn that same appreciation for the woods as other generations and my fear is that they are not willing to become active in protecting it & will just move on to another hobby

I worry more about the "quality" of todays new hunters rather than quantity, technology all around has been able to put alot of people in the woods that perhaps shouldnt be. If you want to thin out hunters, it would be easy:
1. Any state that allows baiting...ban it
2. If you are caught shooting any game from any vehicle you lose the vehicle and hunting privilages.
3. Make it a crime to post any kill on social media
4. Make it a felony if you post that kill & have heavy metal music playing on the above video.
5. Death penalty if that video is playing Nugent's Fred Bear

I say some of this in fun, but I think there is a large population of hunters that just don't know any better & didn't learn that same appreciation for the woods as other generations and my fear is that they are not willing to become active in protecting it & will just move on to another hobby

That you Matt rinella?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldtrail

WKR
A related topic also worthy of discussion are the studies showing a dramatic decline in hunter effort, ie..hours spent attempting harvest, many times I think lack of effort gets mistakenly interpreted as a decline in hunters numbers. I think this is a more relevant issue east of the Mississippi where you have firecracker seasons, everyone and their brother out for the opener, and then throw in the towel for the year & make excuses why they weren't successful.

I was doing some research the other day while thinking about hunting (happens a lot), and thought about one of the possible leading causes of declining hunter numbers.

In the US, 25% of children under 18 live in single parent homes (pew research). Out of that 25%, the great majority are single mothers, and this statistic has been steadily increasing since the mid-20th century. Like many of us, my dad was the one that got me into the outdoors.

Any thoughts on how single mom households might be impacting hunter numbers?
People can survive on fast food and say you’re bad for killing animals, they are not attached to reality anymore

Yoder

WKR
East coast, PA in particular I always hear "no deer on public land". The PA game commission and Penn State just finished a 10 year study on whitetails. They tracked about 1100 deer with GPS collars. One year 32 deer were collared on public land. ONE was killed by a hunter. Most people complain way more than they hunt or scout.