SO Seam Sealing/ Screen Doors

00foreman

FNG
I'm pretty much sold on the Cimarron. Question I have is how many of you had SO seam seal your tent? Reason I ask is because I watched a video of one of the SO guys sealing, what looked to be a Cimarron, and it seemed like he was using an aweful lot everywhere. Is it worth saving the 45 bucks and doing it on your own by thinning the silicone with mineral spirits?

Second question is for those guys who live out near the west coast. Is it worth the 10 oz weight penalty by getting the screen doors?

Thanks guys

Jbehredt

WKR
Sealed my own Redcliff a few weeks back. Thinned the provided sealer with mineral spirits just a little. For me it was worth it to know that it was done 100% by myself. The guy who’s comfort could rely entirely on the quality of work done. One took a couple hours on a Saturday morning.

jeffpg

WKR
I've seam sealed several tents, including both of my Seek Outside LBO's with the 3 pc vestibule. It's a fairly tegious task that I prefer to be in the correct mood for before beginning. I did not seal the inside, but it's not a bad idea and is actually the kind of thing that i would ordinarily be inclined to do, just because. I have a new Redcliff that I'll tackle that chore on soon.

I don't live anywhere near the west coast, but my travels take me anywhere and everywhere. My new Redcliff has the screen doors, and I really prefer the option they provide. I never gave much thought to the minor weight gain on this size tent, since I'll only backpack it when I have a friend or 2 along to share in some weight savings on other community items.

OP
00foreman

00foreman

FNG
The cimarron is going to essentially be a solo shelter with the occasional second person. I hope to someday invest in a redcliff for those longer hunts with 2 people or truck camping. Ill definately get the screen doors in the radcliff. What doesn't make sense to me is how the screen doors on the radcliff weigh less than the cimarron.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The outside seams on ours need to be done, with particular attention paid to where the upper hang loops, door tiebacks, and guyouts are sewn in. In those spots lift the flatfell flap and seal under the butt end for 4-6" above and below. Do a good job with the cone, the jack, and the zippers as well and you're GTG.

You can thin it, but I find it easier to squirt out of the tube, press in with a finger, wipe excess on a paper towel, and move on.

FWIW, the seams themselves rarely leak. It's anywhere something is sewn into the seam that you need to worry about.

Sealing the inside is pointless if the outside is done well. Ever see a roof with shingles on the outside and the inside?

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the reply, Rock! I'm going to seam seal my LBO & vestibule this weekend, and these tips, along with the additional seam sealing info on the website is a big help!