SO cimarron owners......

7mag.

WKR
My only complaint is I feel it could use more guyouts. I only have about 6 nights in it so far, but I think it's going to be a great shelter for 2 guys and gear. There is plenty of room for 2 guys, gear, and a stove for later hunts as well.

Attachments

• 20150605_191449_resized.jpg
    20150605_191449_resized.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 345

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I like it an not only a replacement but an improvement over my beloved SL5. Granted still only 10 nights in it thus far, but so far so good. What are you wanting to know in particular ?

Had to cut our 120 mile hike short to a 50-60 miler due to some navigational difficulties that would have left us a day short on food but still it worked very well on this past trip.

OP
H

handwerk

WKR
Luke,
I have a SO 6 man tipi that I really like, but coming up I have a packpack hunt with my son in Mt. and then heading your direction next fall so I'm thinking of a nice lwt shelter that I can have a stove in and is up for late fall hunts in the rockies, winter camping in the BWCA and tough enough for future Ak trips.
It seems like the cimorron should have it covered, just liking to hear from those that have one...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Not sure the space or weight savings is worth the upgrade from the 6 man to the Cimarron. Would rather have a true tipi than a mid in winter or expecting lots of wind if you already owned one, but thats just me.

Clarktar

WKR
I have 3 nights so far, and it has worked great. Plenty of room for my wife and I in bivys, then a mesh nest which serves as a kennel for the young'in.

Leaving tomorrow morning for 4 nights up in the Olympic Backcountry. I will take pictures. Two of us, and a lot of gear (backpacking, and snorkeling equipment).

But I already know what I will say, "It worked great..."

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I set mine up for the first time this past week and everyone must be really short using these. I have to snug the pole to not be touching the wall, so there's no way I could fit a stove and another person in there with me. One or both of us would be way too close to the stove. I have to lay lengthwise as crosswise isn't even an option. So 2 people tops in mine and that's without a stove. Or a stove and me and that's it.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
I set mine up for the first time this past week and everyone must be really short using these. I have to snug the pole to not be touching the wall, so there's no way I could fit a stove and another person in there with me. One or both of us would be way too close to the stove. I have to lay lengthwise as crosswise isn't even an option. So 2 people tops in mine and that's without a stove. Or a stove and me and that's it.

I had 3 5'11" to 6' guys in mine with plenty of elbow room

I'm literally a few days away from ordering a cimarron because I was under the impression it was quite roomy. I'm 6'6" and was told that fitting with 2 guys and a stove was very doable. Now I'm a little concerned.

SO doesn't provide any top down or profile diagrams showing the dimensions Can anyone weigh in with a homemade diagram of the profile. Curious how the 2 guy outs help, if they do, the ability to get close to the walls.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I will try to get some pics posted of the space we have when its just Becca and I but I would think 3 with gear and a stove would be doable if all in bivies with two people on one side of the pole, one guy laying across the back door and the stove and gear on the other side. But maybe others just need more elbow room than me I guess.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Everyone has what they are used to as far as space, however here are the dimensions

Width 8' 6" (Max 9' 6 "ft center)
Length 9'6" (11' 8" ft max center)

IMO, a 6 ft person fits easily on the width side near the edge of the tent, a taller person should be able to sleep in the center.

Length wise, I would personally think two 8 ft tall people could fit as long as they took some care with the stove , once again just my opinion.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Here are a few pics from our last thru-hike:

Showing the interior space:

I do think that since we put guylines on all the guyout points which allows us to pitch it higher not only for better ventilation to reduce condensation but also makes for a lot more useable space .

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Length wise, I would personally think two 8 ft tall people could fit as long as they took some care with the stove , once again just my opinion.

Length isn't the problem. At 6'6" because of the slope of the walls there's no good way to lay crosswise.......except again maybe hugging the pole on both sides. Lengthwise is great but the slope of the walls prevents from laying away from the center pole. So if two guys are sleeping on either side of the pole.......where does the stove go? Is it doable? Maybe......but I'm pretty sure I'd wake up with the smell of burnt silnylon in the middle of the night.

Stove is directly to the side of center on the pole , Totally doable with stove for 2 guys , it is way bigger than i thought it would be . I had a black diamond megalite before this , this is quite a bit larger floor area than the meglite.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Length isn't the problem. At 6'6" because of the slope of the walls there's no good way to lay crosswise.......except again maybe hugging the pole on both sides. Lengthwise is great but the slope of the walls prevents from laying away from the center pole. So if two guys are sleeping on either side of the pole.......where does the stove go? Is it doable? Maybe......but I'm pretty sure I'd wake up with the smell of burnt silnylon in the middle of the night.

So why can't you do 2 goes lengthwise on one side of the pole and one guy crossways along the backdoor?

Ive also had the megatarp, For me i like the cimmaron a little better alot more head room ,i feel like i have a lot more usable space . no velcro on door , but the megatarp is a great piece of gear as well for its designed purpose. I think you could do 3 guys in the cimmaron pretty easy but with stove would get a little tight.For the weight of the cimmarron i think it has the most usable space of any tent i tried. i think it will be a great backcountry tent