So.....Anyone packing two Tripods?

repins05

WKR
Well......I am starting to think about packing two tripods. Don't like the thought of it in general - more bulk, weight, etc.

However, 90%+ of my shots now are off of my tripod. Not going to switch back. Rifle+tripod=deadly for me. I want to set up my spotter on a tripod and also have the option for a phone scope.

Anyone hunting like this? Seems ridiculous but think I am going to try it.

fmyth

WKR
Why not remove the spotter when you are ready to shoot and snap on a shooting yoke w an arca plate?

Hnthrdr

WKR
I use a primos trigger stick tripod for bino’s, one of my trekking poles and for any shots where I can’t go prone, and I pack my slick 634 for my spotter, thought about installing an arca plate on the stock to use it the situation allowed

Last edited:

madcalfe

WKR
kinda seems like a dumb idea and extra weight. if your using a spotter you should more than likely have enough time to remove the spotter and setup the rifle...... the only reason for this would be that your want to run your phone scope to record your shot..

OP
R

repins05

WKR
I want to run my phone scope to record the shot. Will help at long distance to see the hit and also if for some reason I have a miss. It does seem like a dumb idea....two tripods. But not sure of another way to do it.

And I understand you shouldn't be shooting that far if you are going to miss but shit happens. Tell that to the guy who misses at 75 yards.

I want to run my phone scope to record the shot. Will help at long distance to see the hit and also if for some reason I have a miss. It does seem like a dumb idea....two tripods. But not sure of another way to do it.

And I understand you shouldn't be shooting that far if you are going to miss but shit happens. Tell that to the guy who misses at 75 yards.
Not dumb at all. If you want to get things in camera you will need some extra gear. If you are willing to pack it, why not?

I do - both outdoorsman tripods - one with fluid head for BTX and one with pistol grip for binos, but I used llamas this past fall. And will use rail and/or outdoorsman rifle holder this next fall (trying both options).

But if everything on my back - then I would only do one tripod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR

I don't want to record my shots. If the game dies, I did great. Legend in my own mind!
I'm a half ass shot though 😀

Beendare

WKR
At first I’m thinking- Stupid

But Im a bowhunter. i swap spotter and binos all the time, quickly with interchangeable plates.

Now if you are a long range rifle guy that wants the shot on a phone scope….even with a Long Dual plate, you need two tripods Or the filming gets corrupted.

nobody

WKR
Seems like, even if we think it’s a dumb idea, it’s what’s necessary for your style of hunting. So it doesn’t matter what we think, if it works, use it.

Personally, it seems like an unnecessary amount of weight and bulk to me. Adding another tripod for your purposes essentially adds another 2-2.5 lbs minimum to your weapon system, more likely it’s more like 3-3.5 lbs. That’s another day or 2 worth of food.

If I was you, I would learn to shoot off the top of my pack or from a bipod. A bipod weighs 1/8 what the tripod does and is infinitely more packable, and you’ll always have your pack.

You’re right, it is ridiculous. But judging by how you just said you’re “not going to switch back,” It sounds like your mind is made up, so you better shop and find the lightest, most compact tripod you can.

Coues123

FNG
I've carried two for years. You can definitely end up with a 100# of lightweight gear. I'm not doing 10 day hunts with it, only 3 to 5.

Well......I am starting to think about packing two tripods. Don't like the thought of it in general - more bulk, weight, etc.

However, 90%+ of my shots now are off of my tripod. Not going to switch back. Rifle+tripod=deadly for me. I want to set up my spotter on a tripod and also have the option for a phone scope.

Anyone hunting like this? Seems ridiculous but think I am going to try it.
You recording stuff for social media, or just for yourself?

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
Assuming you also already carry trekking poles this would solve your problem.

Will preface that this is Rokslide so if you think differently or do something differently than what a WKR believes, then you are instantly wrong. Forgive them as sometimes they lose the ability to think outside their behinds.

While the additional weight may suck, there may be benefits as well.

Hunting Solo
  • Depending on the terrain, shoot off one tripod and record the shot off the other. This is more helpful when using a higher recoiling rifle that does not lend itself to seeing your own impacts.
  • In taller vegetation or rocks, there are times you will need a solid front and rear rest. It gets worse when having to wait for the animal to give you a shot. Using a tripod up front and also for in back can help with this.
  • Can save time in the field between switch between spotting scope and binoculars. Amount of time saved can vary depending on animal behavior, terrain, lighting, distance, etc.
  • Post shot, leave an optic pointing at the last spot the targeted animal was seen (in case you lose your way on retrieval).

Hunting in a Group
  • Keep binoculars on one tripod and the spotting scope on the other. Allows you to keep an optic on an animal (or spot) while continuing to glass. More valuable when there is only a single spotting scope in the group.
  • Post shot, allows someone to walk you in while still glassing with a different optic on a different tripod.

Universal
  • Spare if one breaks.
  • Use the smaller/lighter tripod for the final stalk.

HuntWyld

WKR
Capable of supporting 2.2lbs and weighs less than half a pound or they have one that supports 6.5 lbs. These also double in aiding with trophy photos along with a remote shutter for your phone.
91BD882A-9133-41B2-84C4-FFA2E42B2F39.png

OP
R

repins05

WKR
Will preface that this is Rokslide so if you think differently or do something differently than what a WKR believes, then you are instantly wrong. Forgive them as sometimes they lose the ability to think outside their behinds.

While the additional weight may suck, there may be benefits as well.

Hunting Solo
  • Depending on the terrain, shoot off one tripod and record the shot off the other. This is more helpful when using a higher recoiling rifle that does not lend itself to seeing your own impacts.
  • In taller vegetation or rocks, there are times you will need a solid front and rear rest. It gets worse when having to wait for the animal to give you a shot. Using a tripod up front and also for in back can help with this.
  • Can save time in the field between switch between spotting scope and binoculars. Amount of time saved can vary depending on animal behavior, terrain, lighting, distance, etc.
  • Post shot, leave an optic pointing at the last spot the targeted animal was seen (in case you lose your way on retrieval).

Hunting in a Group
  • Keep binoculars on one tripod and the spotting scope on the other. Allows you to keep an optic on an animal (or spot) while continuing to glass. More valuable when there is only a single spotting scope in the group.
  • Post shot, allows someone to walk you in while still glassing with a different optic on a different tripod.

Universal
  • Spare if one breaks.
  • Use the smaller/lighter tripod for the final stalk.
Appreciate the reply. I am shooting a 300rum with 245 eol bergers and a 7rum with 195's. Running an RRS ascend short. In the steep brushy terrain I am hunting in, I am unable to shoot prone or off a pack.

My last 3 kills were 976, 901, and 560 (blacktail). 901 and 560 were one shot kills. Shot last years bull at 976. First shot....I believe hit it slightly back from the lungs? The bull did a stretch when I shot but then just stood there. The second shot?.....hit the lungs. The Bull didn't move on the second shot, and then walked casually about 20 yards to the other side of the ridge out of sight. Took me and hour and a half to get to the other side of the ridge. Found the bull about another 20 yards from where I last saw it. Anyway, it would have been nice to have footage of the two shots to potentially see the vapor trail etc. and shot placement of both. I film when I target shoot and it is extremely helpful. Didn't want to write a book with my original post but here it is.

Anyway, I don't need another RRS for a spotting scope. I am looking at the quick stix setup and will check out the other tripod. Appreciate the help. I don't really want to add more weight to my pack but those options make it much more reasonable.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Spartan can do both and weighs very nothing. Swap from the spotter back to the gun in seconds, use for trekking poles, etc also.