Snowmobiling/scouting??

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not eating tag soup again this coming season! Whats better than owning your own sled?....Having a really good friend that has 2!LOL

So we plan on ridding a learning the area better by sled in the winter if it ever comes. We went up this last week end and their was plenty of snow to ride in, just had to be careful in certain areas.

Is this a bad idea and has anyone ever done this?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Every year I ride areas on sleds that I want to explore backpacking that summer/fall. Doesn't really give you an idea of the animals of the area in hte timeframe you want to hunt them, but gets you a better lay of the land certainly and what might be expected terrain wise that topos just can't show ya. You can cover 100 miles in a day on a sled without too much trouble even if most of it is off trail if you have long spring days and enough gas.

Next month I plan on riding the 100 mile route I plan to hike in June, plus riding sleds is never lame. :D

Like Luke says, it's a great way to cover some country. At least here in Alaska, the winter range for most animals is different than the summer range, so scouting for specific animals is going to be of dubious value. However, it's a fantastic way of getting the lay of the land. You just have to realize that the vegetation is going to look different when the snow goes away. I'm scheming a long range trip in March to take a look at some possible sheep access routes myself.

Yk