Smith and Rogue 8 person tipi tent

JoeD

FNG
Looking into available 8 person tipi / hot tent setups and came across the Smith and Rogue Goahti 8 Person Tipi. (https://smithandrogue.com/smith-rogue-8-person-4-season-goahti-tent-brown-black). Anyone have any experience or insight about this company and setup? I know the standard item in this category is the Seek Outside or Kifaru 8p tipi, but this offering saves a decent amount of money.

The use case is family camping (spouse and 6 and 8 year old) close to the vehicle from early spring to late Fall, shorter mile backpacking trips (3-5 miles/day) with the whole family, and Fall backpacking hunter where I'll keep it setup in the same spot for a few days. In all these cases I'd bring a stove along too -- which I need to get, likely a Seek Outside XL stove.

The big con I see is the mesh inner-tent that covers the entire inside. They don't recommend using the inner-tent with a stove, but I imagine I could sew in a stove jack to the inner tent to match the size and placement of the exterior canopy stove jack. Any downside to that? The family definitely wants an enclosed net tent within the larger canopy. Alternatively, I could but a 1/2 nest from Seek Outside and then run the stove outside the half nest. At that point the price is getting closer to the Seek Outside setup though...

annamolly

FNG
I have a total of three nights in mine. Build quality seems solid. The attachment system for the inner mesh liner is kind of pain. It just uses T handle and some loop to secure it. I don't have a stove yet so can't really chime in on that. As far as using the liner with a stove... I thought about the same thing about sewing a stove jack. But you still can't access the vents with the liner so you'd have to make sure to open those.

Overall we like ours.