Smacked my Nightforce scope hard

stephane

Lil-Rokslider
I was hunting and stepped over some deadfall, and the log I stepped on was super slippery so I skidded right off it, and my rifle (strapped to my backpack) took the full force of my weight right on a log. Basically the scope caught me. In the process it damaged the scope lens ring area, and unfortunately looks like I’m shooting about 6inches low at 100yards now. This is a tikka 6.5cm in a Hnt26 stock, with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 scope in sportsmatch rings. Everything degreased and torqued per Form’s recommendations.
My question is, do I just resite in the gun? Or do I need to pull everything apart and redo it all?
I don’t see any signs of slippage or anything, but obviously something happened since my POI is 6 inches low now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 72

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I was hunting and stepped over some deadfall, and the log I stepped on was super slippery so I skidded right off it, and my rifle (strapped to my backpack) took the full force of my weight right on a log. Basically the scope caught me. In the process it damaged the scope lens ring area, and unfortunately looks like I’m shooting about 6inches low at 100yards now. This is a tikka 6.5cm in a Hnt26 stock, with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 scope in sportsmatch rings. Everything degreased and torqued per Form’s recommendations.
My question is, do I just resite in the gun? Or do I need to pull everything apart and redo it all?
I don’t see any signs of slippage or anything, but obviously something happened since my POI is 6 inches low now.

You can almost guarantee if the NXS scope isn’t physically broken, that scope isn’t the cause of the shift. The first suspect is the action moving in the chassis. Despite most popular belief, most chassis (not all) benefit from bedding with reducing POI shifts.