Sleeping bag and pad

Tcatt

FNG
What suggestions do you guys have for a 20 degree bag and descent sleeping pad under 3 pounds that’s not crazy expensive? I was looking to spend $350 for both if that’s possible.

Go to REI (for example) and start looking at R values (pads -> higher the better) and Comfort levels on the sleeping bags. Then whittle the list down based upon price and weight.

What suggestions do you guys have for a 20 degree bag and descent sleeping pad under 3 pounds that’s not crazy expensive? I was looking to spend $350 for both if that’s possible.

Sierra designs bag on sale and a thermarest neo air could possibly be had in that budget. Dont skimp on the pad. I wasted a lot of money switching bags a couple times to figure out my sleeping pad wasnt as as warm as the advertised R value would lead one to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tcatt

Tcatt

FNG
I found a North Face Cats Meow 20 degree for $80. Any suggestions on that bag?

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
For me, a 20 degree quilt (don't do bags anymore) will have me in decent shape down to just about freezing & no more. I pair that with a Neoair XTherm if the temps are going to be under 45.

The old saying about this stuff is you only get to pick two:
Low weight
High Quality
Low price

I think you could get under 3lbs. But I don't think you can do it for under $350 unless, as has been mentioned, you buy used. My 20 degree (again, that's 32+ actual) setup is an enlightened equipment enigma (20 degree L/W, ~21oz) & a Large XTherm (~21oz). It is unfortunately double your budget new at current prices. There are likely cheaper options....however reference the three choices above.

If it were me, I would indeed go used. Buy here, or potentially buy on the UL Gear trade sub on reddit.

Good luck & stay warm.

sumanum

FNG
I bought a Nemo Disco 30 degree bag because it is advertised as having a little more room for your feet. I wanted a little more wiggle room than the full mummy style, although supposedly the more room you have inside the less heat you trap. Wearing socks, pants, and long sleeves it was okay in the snow. The pad I bought is a Nemo Cosmo. No holes yet luckily and it has an integrated pump. I get a little creeped out thinking about blow up pads and all the moisture that must collect inside them. I see a lot of fold up foam pads though. They never pop, but you can't use them for lounging on the water and storing them on inside the pack is not really an option.

For me, a 20 degree quilt (don't do bags anymore) will have me in decent shape down to just about freezing & no more. I pair that with a Neoair XTherm if the temps are going to be under 45.

The old saying about this stuff is you only get to pick two:
Low weight
High Quality
Low price

I think you could get under 3lbs. But I don't think you can do it for under $350 unless, as has been mentioned, you buy used. My 20 degree (again, that's 32+ actual) setup is an enlightened equipment enigma (20 degree L/W, ~21oz) & a Large XTherm (~21oz). It is unfortunately double your budget new at current prices. There are likely cheaper options....however reference the three choices above.

If it were me, I would indeed go used. Buy here, or potentially buy on the UL Gear trade sub on reddit.

Good luck & stay warm.
Looking at getting the Revelation quilt. Can’t decide on either 10 or 20 degree and if I want a draft collar. If I’m reading your post right, the 20 degree is good to about 32 (sleeping in your skivvies/base layer) you get cold?

My thoughts are getting the 20 to be lighter, I’ll have a puffy top and bottom I can put on to sleep in if it gets below 32 or are you saying 32 degrees is about all you can get out of the 20 degree period?

Felton

WKR
I found a North Face Cats Meow 20 degree for $80. Any suggestions on that bag?
My brother used that bag for archery elk in montana last year and froze his dairy air off.

I’ve seen the sea to summit ether light insulated pad on sale for around $140 recently. If you aren’t tall look at the women’s wide. That leaves you with $200 for a decent sleeping bag. I think that’s going to be hard to find. Look at 800 fill down sleeping bags and wait for them to go on sale and I’d buy the first one with good reviews that went below $300.

Last year first lite changed their sleeping bag and clearanced the old style out the price was in the mid to low 200s so what you’re trying to do is possible.

Marmot has a big sale coming up in February if I’m not mistaken. You might be able to score something there. They mark a lot of stuff down to %40-60 off and I think the last day you can save an extra %10-20 off. Don’t forget to use active junky to get some cash back.

Read this thread for a timeframe reference:

There’s one day that all the discounts and coupons and active junky line up to find some incredible deals.

Last edited:

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting the Revelation quilt. Can’t decide on either 10 or 20 degree and if I want a draft collar. If I’m reading your post right, the 20 degree is good to about 32 (sleeping in your skivvies/base layer) you get cold?

My thoughts are getting the 20 to be lighter, I’ll have a puffy top and bottom I can put on to sleep in if it gets below 32 or are you saying 32 degrees is about all you can get out of the 20 degree period?
Yes, I would typically be sleeping in a base layer & good to about freezing in a 20 degree quilt.
Everyone is different...but for me, with a puffy top and down pants in a 20 degree quilt I would likely be fine down to 20.
Those are expected comfort levels. You could of course likely survive in much lower temps but would not be comfortable.
Edit to add: remember, sleeping pad is every bit as important as the top insulation.