Skull Capping Tool

I brought the head out minus the lower jaw this year and brought it home that way. At home I figured the Sawzall would be the ticket. I tried a wood blade that also cuts nails.......not happening. Then I went to a blade made for cutting through steel and that thing was smoking and struggling to get through the skull plate. What on earth? It eventually got through, but was way more work than it should have been. The WY saw has never struggled like that for me.
I didn't have much luck with sawzall on elk shanks either. I was using the wrong blade obviously but it made a mess.

The folding Gerber will work, but they're on the same level as a replaceable blade knife. I've broken so many of them over the years my garage looks like a used gerber factory. Junk, don't be tempted.

1664809862740.png

These are actually better.

1664809904374.png

But I'm rough on everything and now use an SOG folding saw which is not light.

1664810086139.png

Ended up using a hacksaw blade on my caribou bull this year. Taped up the ends for handles.

Pros: Uberlight. It worked.

Cons: It worked, but it was not easy. Took me 20-30 minutes to get the scull capped and it was a ton of work, especially with a tired back from quartering out my bull.

I carry an 18" dandy saw on my saddle and a wyoming saw in my vest. I also use the wyoming to cut fir limbs to brush up my elk if I have to leave them overnite. It keeps the birds at bay while letting the meat cool.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use my little Silky saw w/ a fine tooth blade for bone (and carry a large tooth blade for wood processing)- 2.5 oz :D

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
which silky only weighs 2.5 oz?
this one

U8N2Qkt.jpg

Jolley78MT

Lil-Rokslider
I gotta the Stanley saws have worked the best for me. I bought a 15" but ground the blade down so it's only about 1.5" wide and took the handle off and made my own to save weight. Had a kydex sheath made for it and it's just about perfect.

I've used the WY saws and several other folding saws but the Stanley cuts the best in my opinion