Skull Capping Tool

What do you use to cut the skull cap off of your elk? Assume you are backpacking so weight is a consideration. I used a Gerber last year that I typically use for cutting wood and it got so gummed up with bone in the blade teeth that I didn't get far. And you can't just knock that stuff out of the teeth easily apparently. I ended up cutting the head off and walking it out. I see plenty of videos with guys packing elk out with just the skull cap so what are you using?

So I have a wyoming saw but I'd rather cut the jaw off and carry the head out than pack around that saw. I guess if you were truck camping or had a heavy camp that was stock packed that would be different.

Another Wyoming saw guy here. That thing is great. I leave it in the truck and grab it when I bring my first meat load out. So weight isn’t really an issue for me because I’m not carrying it all day everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Another Wyoming saw guy here. That thing is great. I leave it in the truck and grab it when I bring my first meat load out. So weight isn’t really an issue for me because I’m not carrying it all day everyday.

Exactly. I don't carry mine either, only bring it back after packing a meat load if I'm gonna skull cap it.

I cut the skull cap off once with Wyoming saw. Never again! Too much work! Not to mention you cannot do euro mount

ElkNut1

WKR
Dave, it only takes 5 minutes or less to remove the rack from the skull? Of course you wouldn't do that if you wanted a euro mount.

What was the challenge you experienced that turned you off?

ElkNut/Paul

chindits

WKR
I’ve done a couple with that folding gerber saw with a bone blade. I won’t say it was easy, but at that point I usually have my meat packed to camp and there’s no real hurry.

tttoadman

WKR
I skin the skull off, remove the bottom jaw, and separate from the spine. I do all this with my havalon, I will clean it up and dump the brain bucket after i get everything back to camp.

Are you sure you're talking about the WY saw? It's like cutting through green logs with a sharp bow saw. It takes longer to slice the hide open than to actually cut through the bone.

Yes it was the mini version. Of course I was rather green to elk hunting at the time and didn't even know the gutless method either ;)

ElkNut1

WKR
Dave, you also need to make sure you are using the Bone Blade, it looks like a hacksaw blade. Don't use the wood blade bud, it doesn't work for bone! Give it a try again & you'll see why so many recommend it, it's fast & easy with the right blades!

Too, when I'm removing rack I first take a knife & slice the hair around my area I intend to saw, this way no hair gets caught up in the teeth. Personally I like the 14" model best, it's not a knuckle buster & it weighs 1-1/2# or so. Not bad at all for how fast & easy it gets the job done! Good luck bud!

ElkNut/Paul

Used a basic ace hardware bow saw with a wood blade last year and it worked great. Did not pack it around with me though. Packed out the head and dealt with it at the truck.

Thinking about packing just a hacksaw bade with some duct tape grips this year to cap in the field. Anyone tried that before?

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Used a basic ace hardware bow saw with a wood blade last year and it worked great. Did not pack it around with me though. Packed out the head and dealt with it at the truck.

Thinking about packing just a hacksaw bade with some duct tape grips this year to cap in the field. Anyone tried that before?
not a hack saw but milwaukee makes a folding handle for reciprocating saw blades, ive been thinking about packing along one of those

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I brought the head out minus the lower jaw this year and brought it home that way. At home I figured the Sawzall would be the ticket. I tried a wood blade that also cuts nails.......not happening. Then I went to a blade made for cutting through steel and that thing was smoking and struggling to get through the skull plate. What on earth? It eventually got through, but was way more work than it should have been. The WY saw has never struggled like that for me.