Skinning for rug?

I have watched several videos and seen threads on this but just wanted to get a better idea of the best way to do this. With a rug in mind, I've found a general consensus on the arm and leg cuts. When taking care of the head, Ive seen some guys skin up to the neck, sever there and leave the entire skull/head skin intact, and ive seen others completely skin out the skull, upper and lower jaw, snout. Is there a reason to or not to do one or the other? Do taxidermists usually prefer it brought to them a certain way?

One word, weight!

Second word, if you have to check the skull in, you have to skin it out.

If you shoot a big bear, the head is very heavy. If you shoot one of those little orange malnutrition looking bears you see all over youtube, with the guy sitting on the next mountain range to make it "appear to be big" just leave the head on and carry it out in your cargo pocket.

Erict

WKR
If the law allowed, I would bet many taxidermists prefer to skin the head themselves instead of fixing mistakes made by others. Worth a phone call before the hunt to ask.

I have skinned plenty of deer, coyote, fox and dorsal skinned my brother's black bear last year. Skinning out a bear skull was almost a pleasure because it's so big. I found it easy to start at the lips and lower jaw, then the upper lips/snout, peel back and do the eyes. I think I even cut the ear bases off from the "mouth" side. Easy job with a havalon and if you have 2 people skinning a good job for one to do while the other works at the other end. I'd think about doing it first on a hot bear before you get into the grease. Just make sure you leave plenty of excess lips, nose cartilage, eyelids, ear bases and know that an attached skull is going to hold heat for a while.

Good luck.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that skinning a head out isn't a big deal. Just take it slow if it's your first time. Where I hunt, you have to get the skull and hide sealed and the head need to be removed from the hide. If you take it to a taxidermist, they will skin the head and seal it at one time. I guess you could save a few lbs if you pull the skull and trim off the head meat but it's not a huge amount unless it's a beast of a brownie. Maybe a couple pounds. If you are in a fly in area or on a long trip and need to split the lips, eyelids and fold the ears then you can't wait until you get home. You'll most likely be making a couple trips anyway for meat and hide unless you have a buddy. I leave them in and do it at home or on the boat when I can sit down, check out the sights, enjoy a cold one and take my time.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You should get the skull out. The heat from it decomposing can actually heat up the hide enough to make hair slip from spoilage if you don’t get it cooled down quick enough.

It’s not hard to get a skull out, I’ve known guys who took the day off of work to do it but in reality it can be done fairly easily in 15-20 minutes.

Cut carefully on the elbows and chest so you don’t get flaps and arm fur/hide that is uneven.

I have watched several videos and seen threads on this but just wanted to get a better idea of the best way to do this. With a rug in mind, I've found a general consensus on the arm and leg cuts. When taking care of the head, Ive seen some guys skin up to the neck, sever there and leave the entire skull/head skin intact, and ive seen others completely skin out the skull, upper and lower jaw, snout. Is there a reason to or not to do one or the other? Do taxidermists usually prefer it brought to them a certain way?
I leave the paws and head intact because I’m not a taxidermist, and all of them I’ve talked to about it recommend that I do that, so they aren’t fixing my mistake

One word, weight!

If you shoot a big bear, the head is very heavy. If you shoot one of those little orange malnutrition looking bears you see all over youtube, with the guy sitting on the next mountain range to make it "appear to be big" just leave the head on and carry it out in your cargo pocket.
Every little orange bear is 300# on YouTube as well 😂 every single one

Their ears are actually the size of skeet, they don’t just look big, they are. I personally haven’t seen one of those in person, but sure see a lot on video

WKR
In Colorado the head does not need to be skinned in order to check it in. It can be in the hide and that is no issue.

wyosteve

WKR
Not sure if you're talking about 'in the field' skinning or afterwards. In the field it's quicker just to cut the head off and take the whole thing. Skinning the head takes time to be careful and do it right. I've always skinned my heads out later in camp.

Pdzoller

WKR
One word, weight!

E8085B26-E260-40F8-A61E-BFAAD3FE089C.jpegIt was a grind but we got er done.