Skeletonized Williams Western Precision Globe Question

atmat

WKR
Does anyone have the newer skeletonized globe sight from Williams that comes standard on their Western Precision Fiber Optic?

Is it really any better than the standard globe sight (which is what I have)? If it is much better, is it worth me taking a drill bit to my globe sight and “skeletonizing” it myself? Note I don’t plan on running the fiber optic insert.

Skeletonized version and standard included in pics for reference.

Attachments

• 7415BD0B-3134-4100-A3C1-A5AF8AC2FE23.jpeg
    7415BD0B-3134-4100-A3C1-A5AF8AC2FE23.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 6F4AE4F2-4121-4365-BEA0-B5AC5771A1A3.jpeg
    6F4AE4F2-4121-4365-BEA0-B5AC5771A1A3.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 11
OP
A

atmat

WKR
Saving 1/100th oz and allowing more things to hang up on. No thanks.
Sorry, I should’ve clarified: I’m not remotely interested in any perceived weight savings.

Williams advertises that it gathers light better, which is why it’s standard on their fiber optic insert. I was wondering if anyone has compared the two at low light.

AH64guy

FNG
It makes sense for the fiber optic, which needs light for increased visibility.

Standard globe sight is supposed to be a silhouette, so I wouldn't expect to need more light on it.

I have the Western fiber optic on a Knight, and it does show up OK with what little bit of sight in that I have done, but I haven't gone full dusk or dawn.

If you are struggling to pick up the dark front sight silhouette in dim light, the fiber optic may not help that much - at least not with my eyes. YMMV

Bumping this thread as i have same question. Just getting ready to order one.
I talked to a guy at Williams Precision and then to CS guy at MuzzleLoaders. Both said that they prefer skeletonized Globe sight even with Western crosshairs inserts.
Wondering if anyone here has real world experience and can speak to this? Thanks

nphunter

WKR
I haven't had any issues with my standard version with a small cross-hair. The most important part of using a peep is sight alignment between the peep and the globe. Once those are aligned put the target in the center of the housing and pull the trigger.

DRUSS

WKR
I just installed the new version on my mountaineer. But I have nothing else to compare it with. With some luck with shipping on the holiday week, I'll be shooting by this weekend. When I called to order these sights it's what they recommended over the older version. All that I was told is that it allows more light in in low light conditions.

I just installed the new version on my mountaineer. But I have nothing else to compare it with. With some luck with shipping on the holiday week, I'll be shooting by this weekend. When I called to order these sights it's what they recommended over the older version. All that I was told is that it allows more light in in low light conditions.
When you say “new version “ you mean fiber model with cut outs? “More light in during those early/late hours” is also the same message they told me. I think ill just go with that model too. I figured if it lets too much light in i can alway throw piece of electrical tape over the cut outa

DRUSS

WKR
Yes that's the one I meant. Sorry wasn't better described. It was how the CS referred to it when I called Williams

Yup sounds right. I ordered mine earlier today. Will try to get out and test “open sights “ soon.
So dar i got it dialed with the scope. <1” groups @ 100m

DRUSS

WKR
Well, after a few rounds down range and a few different powder charges of 777 loose and 50 and 60gr pellets these sights I like. Only problem I have with my knight mountaineer is I'm roughly 5-8" high at 100yds. I contacted Williams and they replaced my rear ramp and it helped bit still higher than I would like.
Has anyone else had this problem?

So I just attempted to install front globe sight onto my Accura LR-X and ran into small issue. Has anyone else had this problem and how did u solve it?
- Screw is very so slightly too long so globe sight has some space between it and barrel. Enough to fit folded over ups label (think double layer paper). Screws are actually same length as my original front sight. But because fiber optic front sight was thicker in the body, less of the screw was sticking out past into the screw channel.

1. Could I do some spacer/shim between sight and barrel? And what would u recommend?
2. Can I file/shave down the screw somehow 1/100” what tool/stone/sandpaper would u use?
3. I can also try calling WP on Monday to see what they recommend.

Attachments

• IMG_8477.jpeg
    IMG_8477.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8478.jpeg
    IMG_8478.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8479.jpeg
    IMG_8479.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 12
Yes, I’ve read that others have had the same issue from time to time.

Id shorten the screw with a file and sandpaper or shim the sight with aluminum can shims and bed it with JB Weld. (Before you bed it too high make sure your rear sight will work with it that high.)

I like aluminum can idea. I can trim it to fit just right under the sights to not have gaps along edges.
Will try it when I got to range next to ensure rear (ace in the hole) works.

ckleeves

WKR
I put one on a LRX and the correct screw was in the package but I still had to bed it. I’m not sure exactly what contour barrel the front globe is for but on both a Knight and the LRX both have needed bedding.