Sitka vs Kuiu Comparison….

KY Ryan

FNG
Buy pants in solid colors and tops in camo to relieve your OCD when mix matching brands. I love the timberline pants but wish they had side vents. If you really want Sitka pants, I would wait. I bet they update their pants with vents soon. Surely they’ve listened to their customer base and realize the demand.
The jetstream jacket will replace your guide jacket. The cloudburst jacket has been a great outer shell for me too. I have a Sitka heavyweight fleece but prefer Kuiu’s 260 strong fleece. The DWR and warmth is far superior on the 260. I also prefer kuiu’s 97 comfort over sitka’s lightweight top.

I think you’ll be going backwards in a few areas if you switch everything to Sitka. I’d only replace the pieces you aren’t happy with.

Buy pants in solid colors and tops in camo to relieve your OCD when mix matching brands. I love the timberline pants but wish they had side vents. If you really want Sitka pants, I would wait. I bet they update their pants with vents soon. Surely they’ve listened to their customer base and realize the demand.
The jetstream jacket will replace your guide jacket. The cloudburst jacket has been a great outer shell for me too. I have a Sitka heavyweight fleece but prefer Kuiu’s 260 strong fleece. The DWR and warmth is far superior on the 260. I also prefer kuiu’s 97 comfort over sitka’s lightweight top.

I think you’ll be going backwards in a few areas if you switch everything to Sitka. I’d only replace the pieces you aren’t happy with.
Beat me to it. IMO Camo is overrated anyway, at least for western hunting. Not sure I wore a stitch of it this year and had a bunch of critters within 50 yards and a good staredown with a bull at 12. He never did figure me out. Just couldn't get the bow drawn back quickly enough when he turned....

I can't fathom "switching" from one brand to another. I would say I "supplement" from one brand to another...lol.

Can't help on the Sitka front, but have been very happy with my KUIU stuff. That said for pants I mostly wore Prana's. KUIU stuff up top.

I mix and match. Agree that kuiu pants > Sitka pants. I think my axis hybrids have displaced the Timberlines as my favorite late season pants. Attacks and mountains are probably the closest comparison but I prefer attacks. I prefer the function of sitka knee pads but the fit and hip vents of kuiu are better IMO. Jets stream is probably closest to the DCS guide jacket. I prefer the jetstream For a soft shell. Kuiu has some great fleece and base layers. As good as their pants work, Their jackets have never fit me well. My DCS is blocky and baggy and not very wind resistant. It rides in my truck as my just in case jacket but my Sitka and FL are what is use for hunting. Sitka tops - jackets, puffies and rain gear - just work better for me and my dad bod meets crossfit physique. While my jetstream is my favorite soft shell, I have become a big fan of Sitka traverse cold weather hoody, both for hunting and around town. It breathes better and is warmer than a typical soft shell.

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I still have the my kuiu down pants, Teton insulated jacket, and peloton shirts. I’ll likely get some guide pants and have one setup in vias/kuiu. I’m honestly just a gear junky. I like to try it all.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Is there any of the Kuiu gear that is windproof like some of the Sitka .
I don’t mind cold weather at all… if there’s no wind I’m comfortable in just a cotton Tshirt in 30 degree weather; but cold weather and wind even if just 5 mph I turn into a giant poon

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any of the Kuiu gear that is windproof like some of the Sitka .
I don’t mind cold weather at all… if there’s no wind I’m comfortable in just a cotton Tshirt in 30 degree weather; but cold weather and wind even if just 5 mph I turn into a giant poon
I can only speak to the kuiu guide jacket vs sitka jetstream and I can tell you sitka outshines kuiu in that comparison.

I buy pieces, not brands. Each company has superior and inferior items. Mix & match as you see fit. The Timberline jacket is very packable and great for wind.

IMG_0827.JPG

fanboy.gif

It’s been said, but mix and match can work. Hunting in FL, the Sitka mosquito gear has been a game changer for me.