Sitka Thunderhead Rain Jacket Opinions?

Crazy Coot

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for a new rain jacket mainly for next season. I’ll use this for stand hunting whitetails and also for spring turkey season. I’m considering the Sitka Thunderhead. For those of you that have used this, what was your opinion? I’m mainly curious to know how noisy it is and how well it kept the moisture out. Any input on only this jacket would be much appreciated.

I love mine, and use it for exactly what you are looking to do. It has a soft outer shell that is very quiet. I have worn it in downpours and all-day rains and never had a single leak. The hood and sleeve cuffs are well thought out and function great. On days when it is not raining I still bring it on my pack, when you are cooling off in a treestand the brushed outer finish offers a little extra warmth as an outer layer at the end of the sit. I have no issue with this, but I have heard people complain about the brushed finish “wetting-out” and not shedding water. I could see this being an issue if wearing it on a multi-day trip, but not day hunts. I usually wear Large Sitka gear, I ordered this jacket in XL so that I can use it over multiple inner layers if needed.

Last edited:

Honyock

WKR
I use a Sitka Dewpoint jacket as my hard shell/wind blocker/rain gear for mountain hunting and whitetail hunting. If it's windy enough to wear a hard shell or raining, I'm not concerned about sound. It hasn't failed me yet.