Sitka Mid layer help

Trying to add a mid layer to my clothing set up.

This is for my more active style hunting, not stand hunting. I currently have light merino base layers and heavy UA synthetic layers. I have a couple Sitka gradients that I use for waterfowl as well as Fahrenheit jacket for light weight insulation. I also am pretty well set on ordering the Jet stream jacket for an outer layer.

I've narrowed it down to the following items

Traverse Hoody

Fanatic Hoody

Apex Hoody

Heavyweight Hoody

What do you all think would best go with the clothes I already have to give me a versatile mid layer that's easy to shed as it gets warmer and breathes well while I'm on the move? I don't really care what line up it comes from in Sitka, but the elevated camo does not work for me and where I hunt. I for sure want a hood on it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Heavyweight Hoody is definitely the most versatile out of the choices you have listed. That would be out top choice! The Apex Hoody is a great option if you are mostly bow hunting.

oenanthe

WKR
I've no experience with any of the others, but the heavyweight hoody is a great piece of gear. I often layer it with a lightweight hoody.

Be aware that it is quite warm. I don't wear it when moderately active unless the temps are in the 30s.

Spence14

WKR
I have the Heavyweight Hoody and love it! But have always wanted a traverse hoody as well. Would be interested to hear from someone who has both.

OP
A
I'm glad that you all recommend the heavyweight hoody. I ordered it along with a jetstream jacket the other day. We'll see how I like it in a few weeks during turkey season.

I’ve been using a Traverse 1/4 zip as my mid layer for several years now. Zero complaints and I’d replace it with another if something ever happens to mine. It seems to be the perfect balance for me between my merino wool 1/4 zip and my Lost Park Parka.

j33

WKR
I owned a Traverse 1/4 zip, sold wasn't a fan just found it didn't breath good enough to be a 1/4 zip. I would not own it again unless I got the full zip hoody.

Traverse: Abrasion & wind resistance... If you run cold go with this
Heavyweight Hoody: Better moisture management... If you run hot go with this

I'm listening to a podcast, some dude from Sitka going through his layers and figure i would pass on the info.

elliotsil

FNG
Traverse hoody is a bit too big to be a mid layer, I've worn it under the stratus jacket once or twice but it's not the most comfortable thing.
I'd go heavyweight hoody or fanatic, the apex isn't really that warm

Tx270WT

FNG
I’ve been sitting here the last few days with the same question, glad someone asked it. Was really curious about the heavyweight hoody. How well does it breath?

OP
A
I just got done turkey hunting the last few days and the heavyweight hoody got used a fair bit. Breathes very well. Pretty warm. If it's 40s, I'm pretty warm in it with a light merino base. That's at a slow walking pace and sitting now and then.

My only negative is it is already pilling quite a bit on the front of the hoody. Not sure why, possibly my turkey vest was rubbing it funny, idk. But the front is all fuzzy now.