Sitka Grinder Pant vs. Sitka Mountain Pant

Looking for an early season pant for bow hunting in Iowa that could possibly double as a mid layer. I’m interested in the mud color in both of these since I would eventually like to branch outside of Iowa to hunt and figured with limited funds this would be a good all around color. Would love to hear from anyone with experience on both pants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crusader

WKR
If you have limited funds, save yourself an absolute ton of money and get the Wrangler Outdoors pants from Walmart at $22/pair:

Fabulous pants for lots of different purposes -- outdoors, around town, in the office, etc. Multiple color choices. Very lightweight and comfortable Buy 7 or 8 pairs of them instead of one pair of Sitka!

Okhotnik

WKR
If you have limited funds, save yourself an absolute ton of money and get the Wrangler Outdoors pants from Walmart at $22/pair:

Fabulous pants for lots of different purposes -- outdoors, around town, in the office, etc. Multiple color choices. Very lightweight and comfortable Buy 7 or 8 pairs of them instead of one pair of Sitka!
I was going to suggest that. Insane, imo, to pay for a technical mountain pant to stand hunt in the midwest

whaack

WKR
I was going to suggest that. Insane, imo, to pay for a technical mountain pant to stand hunt in the midwest

Guess it depends. My whitetail hunting includes about 4-6 mikes of hiking per day. I want clothes that fit well, breath well, are durable and have great function.

OP
C

That’s a very valid point lol. I’ll have to check them out for sure

OP
C
Guess it depends. My whitetail hunting includes about 4-6 mikes of hiking per day. I want clothes that fit well, breath well, are durable and have great function.

Do you have any experience with either pair. Was looking into the Dakota pant as well

Crusader

WKR
I used the Wrangler pants on my most recent antelope hunt in WY, some days walked 8 or 9 miles, including some crawling and the like, and they performed flawlessly.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I used the Wrangler pants on my most recent antelope hunt in WY, some days walked 8 or 9 miles, including some crawling and the like, and they performed flawlessly.
I wear my Wrangler jeans in the same situations & they perform well too 😬

Hondo

WKR
I have both the Grinder and Mountain pants. The Grinder pants were designed as a waterfowl pant that can be easily worn under waders or bibs so it is more streamlined than the Mountain Pants and thus would work better as a mid-layer IMO although I consider both to be more of a mid-season pant than an early-season pant. The Grinder pants are one of the most comfortable pants I have worn and right up there with First Lite Corrugates and Kuiu Attack pants in terms of comfort. Out of these 2 I would suggest the Grinder for your application.

The First Lite Corrugate and Kuiu Katana Stretch Woven pants would be some non-Sitka pants that could also work. Out of these 2 the Katana is more streamlined and would work better as a mid-layer IMO.

There are a lot of solid color technical pants that cost much less that could also work as an early-season/mid-layer pant. I would consider the Prana Stretch Zion, Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pants, BlackOvis Granite Peak and Wrangler pants in that order based on my experiences.

Okhotnik

WKR

Hiking 4 to 6 miles a day while bowhunting in Iowa? Interesting.

whaack

WKR
Hiking 4 to 6 miles a day while bowhunting in Iowa? Interesting.

I’m in IL not IA. Yep. Average distance to my hunting spots is .85 to 1.3 miles. Some are almost 1.5.

That’s 1.7 - 2.6 miles in the AM and then again in the PM. It’s becoming more snd more common especially for guys hunting larger public tracts.

OP
C
I have both the Grinder and Mountain pants. The Grinder pants were designed as a waterfowl pant that can be easily worn under waders or bibs so it is more streamlined than the Mountain Pants and thus would work better as a mid-layer IMO although I consider both to be more of a mid-season pant than an early-season pant. The Grinder pants are one of the most comfortable pants I have worn and right up there with First Lite Corrugates and Kuiu Attack pants in terms of comfort. Out of these 2 I would suggest the Grinder for your application.

The First Lite Corrugate and Kuiu Katana Stretch Woven pants would be some non-Sitka pants that could also work. Out of these 2 the Katana is more streamlined and would work better as a mid-layer IMO.

There are a lot of solid color technical pants that cost much less that could also work as an early-season/mid-layer pant. I would consider the Prana Stretch Zion, Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pants, BlackOvis Granite Peak and Wrangler pants in that order based on my experiences.

I’ve tried the grinder pant but no one carries mountain pants around here. I felt like the grinder pant was a little loud to be hunting whitetails which is part of the reason I was looking at the mountain pants since I figured they would be a little quieter

OP
C
The sitka dakota pant is nice. They run a little big so size accordingly

I’ve heard good things about the Dakota but didn’t know if it would be too warm for Oct hunts and some early November hunts depending on the weather here

I’ve heard good things about the Dakota but didn’t know if it would be too warm for Oct hunts and some early November hunts depending on the weather here

I have a set of dakota pants and hoody.
I got them in waterfowl timber pattern. I really like the pattern for treestand hunting. I have cheap lightweight stuff for early season hot weather hunting. For me the dakota pants would be ideal for Temps below 50 degrees. With good base layer I could get to 30s on stand. Any colder and I'm breaking out the wool.

OP
C
I have a set of dakota pants and hoody.
I got them in waterfowl timber pattern. I really like the pattern for treestand hunting. I have cheap lightweight stuff for early season hot weather hunting. For me the dakota pants would be ideal for Temps below 50 degrees. With good base layer I could get to 30s on stand. Any colder and I'm breaking out the wool.

Awesome! I might just go with the grinder pants in mud and pick up a gradient hoody

Blandry

WKR
I've tried a lot of the pants mentioned on this forum (eddie guide pro, guide work, sitka timberline, grinder, back 40, prana stretch, some different kuhl, and patagonia rock type pants). Once I bought a pair of kuiu attacks I was in love. Now I have 3 pairs of attacks and 2 pair of kutana's and they're the only ones I ever wear, even daily because with solids the cost/use value is great. It helps that a 34 length (R size) is perfect and just barely touches the ground w/o boots on. It's like their 36R was custom made for me. Everything else is either too baggy or too tight in diff places.

The Kutana is perfect for early season, from 40ish all the way to 90's temp.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Grinder pants would be ok for bowhunting, but there's quieter options if that's a concern. They are really comfortable though. I wear my older pair of mud grinders around the house like they are sweat pants. Dakotas are basically fleece lined grinders, which might be more versatile for the upper midwest.

huntkansas

Lil-Rokslider

I’m western Kansas and lots of spot and stalk and walking. Kuiu Attacks have been great. They’re quiet, durable, great fit and have side zips to dump heat. I have used them all season with late season layering. Lightweight Sitka are magnets for sand burrs. Haven’t tried mountain pants. Stone glacier DH are nice for late season but a little noisy. Eddie Bauer has some technical pants that look good for early season. Buddy likes them. Black ovis has some early season pants that look good for early season too (cottonwood?). Can’t remember the name but camofire has the. For $60 fairly often.