Sitka AK fishing advice

johnsd16

WKR
The wife wants to do a family fishing trip to AK summer of 2025. We have been to AK many times, twice as a family but not since Covid and adding a kid. We usually do ANC, Denali, Seward, Homer and visit my best friend in soldotna area. That’s a lot of windshield time and we want to prioritize fishing and relaxing but still be able to check out a town for shopping, eating, etc.

Sitka seems to fit the bill and the all inclusive lodging/fishing outfits seem like the way we want to go but I have never been to Sitka or done that type of trip. We will be a group of 5 (two adults, two boys - 13 and 16, and one girl -5).

Priorities for fishing would be silvers, rockfish, lingcod and halibut in that order. Not going to bother with kings.

We are flying from Spokane so it’s not too bad for air travel time. We would want a rental car or loaner car from the lodge while there. We don’t need super fancy food but not just burgers and fries either. Staying right by the water is also ideal. We are thinking 5-6 day trip with 3-5 days of fishing.

So far I have looked at (in no particular order)…
Kingfisher charters
Cascade creek lodge
Sitka point
Wild strawberry lodge

These look a bit fancier than I would prefer
Dove island lodge
Talon lodge and spa

Does anyone have recommendations on any of these or others that I missed. Experience with any? Time of year to go for the fishing we want (July or August is the plan).

We did Cascade creek last year mid June & it was an absolutely great experience. Zero complaints. The others in our group have been going there every year for a long time & are going back again next week. The lodge is about a 2 minute ride to the boat & they handle all the processing & shipping back home. All you need to do is walk off the plane & have fun. They took us into town so we could shop, explore, etc.
Kings were the priority for us but I think you need to do a little later for the silvers so July / August should be fine but I'd call them to confirm.
Their lodge is right on the water but TBH you'll probably come out better money wise if you rent a house if you're not gonna fish each day.
View from the lodge:

AK1.jpg
AK2.jpg

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy that's a captain in Homer cut his teeth in Sitka at the Wild Strawberry. If you want to go catch giant King's, that's the spot to do it (or it was a few years ago). They've taken a nose-dive in a lot of areas (because of some of the BS bottom trawler by-catch but that's a whole other topic). Nice lodge, generally pretty good food and a nice spot.

I've fished with Sitka Point twice. A family friend has been running a group that's been going out with them 20+ years. Always the week before the commercial fishing season starts, about the last week in June. That gets you on every tasty fish you can hit. Captains and crews were great. Food was amazing. Too good really, I don't need to eat that much! Highly recommend.

There's not a whole lot to see "downtown" and we only went out to eat once but the program is basically up at 4:30 for breakfast. Heading to the boats by 5:30. Fishing until 2-3 and head back in. 4:30pm you're showering, 5 or 6 eating. 6-9pm telling tall takes until common sense tells you 4:30am is an early wake-up. Not a lot of time to be bored. Harbor Mtn Brewing Co had decent beer. Sitka National Historical Park has a few short trails to hike.

End of the week your vac-sealed frozen fish is in the standard grey waxy box and they haul you to the airport and you crawl to your plane. The worst thing about Sitka is their airport. It's about 40 years past needing to be upgraded.

matchu865

FNG
I've fished with Sitka Point twice. A family friend has been running a group that's been going out with them 20+ years. Always the week before the commercial fishing season starts, about the last week in June. That gets you on every tasty fish you can hit. Captains and crews were great. Food was amazing. Too good really, I don't need to eat that much! Highly recommend.

There's not a whole lot to see "downtown" and we only went out to eat once but the program is basically up at 4:30 for breakfast. Heading to the boats by 5:30. Fishing until 2-3 and head back in. 4:30pm you're showering, 5 or 6 eating. 6-9pm telling tall takes until common sense tells you 4:30am is an early wake-up. Not a lot of time to be bored. Harbor Mtn Brewing Co had decent beer. Sitka National Historical Park has a few short trails to hike.

End of the week your vac-sealed frozen fish is in the standard grey waxy box and they haul you to the airport and you crawl to your plane. The worst thing about Sitka is their airport. It's about 40 years past needing to be upgraded.
Sitka airport is great up until you go through security, after which you’re desperately counting the seconds until you can get out of the tiny cramped room they consider the gate.

I fished Big Blue Charters and used a Verbo that was just across the road from the pier. I think Big Blue may have bought a lodge since then. I had a lot of fun and would definitely book with them again.
@matchu865 is right, the waiting room for departure sucks.

Not much driving in Sitka. But there is an Avis at the airport. Dining isn’t bad but is primarily burgers, pizza, and wings. There is some seafood, a Chinese place, and a little Italian joint. I guess about the assortment you’d get in any of the SE towns.
You could walk to most all of it from Wild Strawberry. It’s not a big place.
Would be hard to be in Sitka and not be right by the water, but it’s all rocky shore.
Cruise ship traffic would be a concern.
It’s nice place.

Not much driving in Sitka. But there is an Avis at the airport. Dining isn’t bad but is primarily burgers, pizza, and wings. There is some seafood, a Chinese place, and a little Italian joint. I guess about the assortment you’d get in any of the SE towns.
You could walk to most all of it from Wild Strawberry. It’s not a big place.
Would be hard to be in Sitka and not be right by the water, but it’s all rocky shore.
Cruise ship traffic would be a concern.
It’s nice place.
You definitely know when they are in town! The Mean Queen has a pretty decent happy hour and oysters on the half shell.

You definitely know when they are in town! The Mean Queen has a pretty decent happy hour and oysters on the half shell.

Mean Queen was highly recommended.
I think I liked their wings and pizza the best. I think Bayview had better burgers, and Ludvigs bistro had some good eats.
I’m probably a poor judge though.

WRO

WKR
I’d do Yakutat over Sitka, significantly better fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
johnsd16

johnsd16

WKR
I’d do Yakutat over Sitka, significantly better fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some guys at work do yakutat. Do they have the all inclusive options there as well? Is it any less family friendly compared to Sitka?

WRO

WKR
Some guys at work do yakutat. Do they have the all inclusive options there as well? Is it any less family friendly compared to Sitka?
There’s all inclusives there, both river and ocean options and the fishing is much better.

https://www.glacierbearlodge.com/ I have a friend that guides there..

Prince of Wales guide service in Craig should be on your list as well.

I have buddys who do all inclusives at old harbor in Kodiak every year and love it.

Most of the major harbors in AK are overfished (Sitka, Juneau, homer, Seward, etc..

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been with wild strawberry lodge and have friends that go with them every year. Good food and comfortable accommodations

Q child

WKR
There’s all inclusives there, both river and ocean options and the fishing is much better.

https://www.glacierbearlodge.com/ I have a friend that guides there..

Prince of Wales guide service in Craig should be on your list as well.

I have buddys who do all inclusives at old harbor in Kodiak every year and love it.

Most of the major harbors in AK are overfished (Sitka, Juneau, homer, Seward, etc..
Huh. This is a weird comment when read by someone who lives nearby. There are a lot of fish in Sitka.

WRO

WKR
Huh. This is a weird comment when read by someone who lives nearby. There are a lot of fish in Sitka.
How big are the halibut you catch? Salmon are salmon, but if you want big halibut and good rock fish, 3A is much better than 2c for the guided angler. Plus the situk has good silver and steelhead fishing. Last time I was in Sitka, I do not recall many close opportunities for freshwater if the ocean was blown up.

For guided anglers, 2c has a 1 fish limit with a 40” max, 3A which is yakutat has a 2 fish limit with 1 any size.