Sirui VA-5 Head Plate Tension Screw Replacement

LargeAvos

FNG
I've been using my Sirui ST-125 tripod with the VA-5 head for a bit now and am frustrated with the tensioning screw for the top plates. I have 2 different style plates both from Sirui but they don't fit the same. I've seen people complaining about the same thing and am wondering if anyone has seen or made a change to the tensioning screw allowing you to spin it continuously until it locks Similar to Area 419 Arca Clamp with an enlarged turning knob.

If I don't find anything I will probably end up making something... But just want to see if there is anything out there yet.

sram9102

WKR
You could probably just break the tab on the adjustment knob off and it would be free to spin 360 degrees.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same problem, and have just dealt with it so far. If you end up making something post a picture of your solution.

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Did you or anyone end up with a fix or replacement for this? About to grind the knob off myself but the screw is on back order so a bit hesitant

OP
L

LargeAvos

FNG
I ended up switching heads to a ball head for shooting off of. Glassing isn’t as nice though.

kpk

WKR
Did you or anyone end up with a fix or replacement for this? About to grind the knob off myself but the screw is on back order so a bit hesitant

I really dislike that stupid locking knob as well.

You'd have to grind the locking pin and the knob itself to clear the handle.

Last edited:

kpk

WKR
Not sure if this is what you guys are talking about?

VA 5 fix

Kind of. I think the common gripe is that you can only turn that knob a quarter turn before you have to pull and reposition it on the nut when switching between different plates. It would be nice if that knob would rotate completely. I run a RRS cinch on my binos and the Sirui plates on everything else - It's a pain switching between them quickly.