Single trekking pole

gtriple

WKR
I only use one but can see two being nice for the pack out.

Never even thought I wanted one until I found one left behind at a trail head and picked it up to try out. Game changer for packing heavy through deadfall.
Hey! I was wondering where that pole went!

Felton

WKR
Recommend some poles?
This cheap set has been recommended by many guys on here. It’s 21oz
Cascade trekking pole

I believe I found one guy on here recommending this pole and then I researched it and hikers seem to give it a high score. The downside to this pole is it’s pretty long in the collapsed position, so if you’re hunting tight brush it’s gonna get in the way while it’s stored away in your pack. If you’re hunting relatively open country it’s great. This is around 12oz and on sale, typically $100 so buy now if you’re gonna get it.

egbateson

FNG
I carry two, use them for pack in and heavy pack outs. More often though I let one of my less prepared hunting partners use my second pole when the going gets heavy. They are learning.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine pretty much reside in my pack most of the time I'm hunting; I'll occasionally pull one out on steep terrain (especially sidehilling) if I need additional balance, BUT if I'm hauling meat I definitely want both in my grubby little hands :D