Simple hunting scopes - do I need SWFA?

I am not a turret twister or a long range hunter. I have owned VX-1 and VX-2 variable scopes and been happy with them. These are on bolt action rifles - 223 and 270 (unfashionable I know). I am not a high volume shooter, though, as much as I’d like to be. I am willing to spend money to have durable and functional equipment, and have been considering upgrading to SWFA scopes, either fixed 6x or variable 3-9x scopes, on the recommendation of the internet hunting forum crowd.

Are these scopes overkill for someone like me? In addition to the cost, the SWFA scopes add weight and bulk, including turrets that I don’t plan on using since I don’t plan on getting into the long range game. I know SWFA makes ultralight scopes, but they don’t get recommended as often as the two models I’ve already mentioned so I haven’t considered them very much.

To sum it all up, I’m willing to take the plunge and upgrade my scopes to heavier, tougher models if I need to. But is the upgrade worth it for someone like me?

I own several swfa scopes and some leupolds too.

IF you want to twist turrets, can’t go wrong with swfa. Otherwise I think there are some drawbacks compared to a decent 3-9x40 when it comes to general hunting less than 400 yards. For example with my 3-9 swfa I had a really hard time shooting at a deer in dark timber at first light (thin reticle at low power). Wouldn’t have been an issue with a regular 3-9 (sfp).

I don't think you need anything more. I've hunted for years with cheapy nikon BDC and a leupold VX3. I don't think you need any more than you have .

But that's not what guns are about. It's about what you want :)

Fatcamp

WKR
I like to put my crosshairs exactly where my bullet will hit. Don't care how anyone else does it but over the last few years of shooting it's just what I like to do. Self imposed limit of 400 yards so don't really need a scope to dial, but I kind of like the idea of reliable as well.

I use a Gunbearer so a few extra ounces doesn't bother me.

KIMG3431.JPG

Absolutely not Vx2 or higher grade scopes are just fine, and reliable as ever if you're not dialing.
Most any of the traditional mid grade or better scopes are great, as set it and forget it scopes.

All the bulk and big target knobs are definitely going to get in the way and not be worth it if you're not going to use them.

I still have plenty of Vx2 and Vx3s that I do not dial and I'm just as confident in them as ever.

Leupolds problem with dialing is they want to stay light weight. They no how to build scopes there just not willing to put the heavy components in there to be reliable.

ZackP

WKR
The SWFA scopes are fantastic, but you may find the 6X fixed a bit to low of power out to 3-400. I’ve used one quite a bit and as said above the thinner reticle is a drawback for longer shots in hunting situations.

That being said there is no reason you can’t dial an SFP scope, as long as it’s repeatable. Believe it or not the last two shots with my wife’s 4-16 Diamondback HP have been at 499 and 356. Both dialed shots. Both in the boiler house. Weight is around 16 oz.

If you plan to dial more, go with SWFA or something with exposed turrets. But for something just set it and forget it, with the ability to dial, you’re ball park is pretty much wide open as long as the scope tracks.