Sig Sauer P320 X-Ten Comp Reloads

Just picked up the new pistol today, and I'm looking for recommendations on a good load that feeds reliably in the sig sauer x-10 comp. Planning on running 200 grain hardcast bullets. I've done some reading on the feeding issues with those large flat nose rounds, and I'm wondering if anyone has found a magic number in terms of seating depth to mitigate those issues.

marc357

FNG
Wife and I each have a full size xTen. I have reloaded a fair amount for them.

The feeding issue is because of the magazine dimensions. When using a bullet with a very wide meplat, (like the 220gr Rimrock bullet used in the Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman Load, the 180gr JHP used in SIG'S OWN PREMIUM10mm AMMO, the Barnes 140 or 155gr XP) - the "corners" of the meplat rub the inside corners of the magazine once they get down to where the magazine transitions to full double stack.

You can look through the cutouts for the mag catch and see that they are rubbing. You can load 5 rounds of anything and they'll function fine because you're not down to the lower portion of the mag where the problem is, but with a full mag they start to hang up. Won't even feed Sig's own wildly expensive "Premium" 180gr hollowpoint load. Pretty big fail. It does work fine with most any of the garbage range ammo (which let's face it- is all most of these guns will ever see) but still. 99 yards, and drop the ball.

I read about this and bought the xTen anyway, as I intended to handload for it and it just fits my hand so well, and I gambled that I could load wide nose bullets a bit shorter and it would work fine. Fortunately I was correct.

For practice ammo I load 180 and 200gr hardcast that doesn't have such a wide nose to SAAMI spec at 1.260" with no problem. The wide nose bullets I load about .010 to .020 deeper- and they feed and function fine. It will be a bit different depending on the bullet but I don't think I'd go below 1.240" You can load some up and peek thru the mag catch cutout and see if they are rubbing or not.

The Buffalo Bore 220s certainly gave me trouble, but the Underwood, which I'm pretty sure uses the same bullet (but coated) seems to work ok- I think because the coating makes them slick enough to overcome the friction in the magazine. But I can plainly see where the coating is getting rubbed off the corners of the noses. I wouldn't trust them in bear country, unless I re-seated them .010 deeper or so. But no need, I have worked up a good load w 200gr hardcast and Longshot.

FWIW my Springfield Range Officer Elite 1911 in 10mm has eaten everything I have tried in it, haha.