Sierra?

ElPollo

WKR
Just wondering WTH is up with this company. I reached out to them recently to ask about the availability of 130 gr .264 TMK bullets. Their answer was basically, “Oh well, we might get to making a batch of them sometime later this year.” I find that puzzling, because it’s one of their most in-demand bullets in one of the most popular calibers. Are they just shipping enough ammo and components to the military and the Ukraine that they don’t have to care about regular commercial sales anymore? I can’t think of another reason short of lack of business acumen for this kind of thinking. All of the places that carry bullets around me have shelves of Hornady bullets, but only a handful of Sierra TGK and SMK. It seems like Sierra is still stuck back in 2020 when it comes to pumping out products, and the stuff they are producing largely doesn’t interest me.

WCB

WKR
Just wondering WTH is up with this company. I reached out to them recently to ask about the availability of 130 gr .264 TMK bullets. Their answer was basically, “Oh well, we might get to making a batch of them sometime later this year.” I find that puzzling, because it’s one of their most in-demand bullets in one of the most popular calibers. Are they just shipping enough ammo and components to the military and the Ukraine that they don’t have to care about regular commercial sales anymore? I can’t think of another reason short of lack of business acumen for this kind of thinking. All of the places that carry bullets around me have shelves of Hornady bullets, but only a handful of Sierra TGK and SMK. It seems like Sierra is still stuck back in 2020 when it comes to pumping out products, and the stuff they are producing largely doesn’t interest me.
I agree it is strange that Sierra, Barnes, Berger seem to struggle while Hornady has a bunch of stuff out. But I can assure you 100% it has nothing to do with them sending bullets to the military or Ukraine. The volume of SMKs and TMKs that go to the military is tiny.

t_carlson

WKR
But I can assure you 100% it has nothing to do with them sending bullets to the military or Ukraine. The volume of SMKs and TMKs that go to the military is tiny.

Could they be making some other kind of bullet for military use?

Someone has to make the FMJs, and its surely not Uncle Sam doing it.

It really is a mystery. With a year of diligent looking I accumulated 1k 77 tmks and 500 130 tmks, all on the secondary market, but the uncertainty on future availability has me seriously considering a switch to hornady for 6.5 bullets.

OP
E

ElPollo

WKR
I agree it is strange that Sierra, Barnes, Berger seem to struggle while Hornady has a bunch of stuff out. But I can assure you 100% it has nothing to do with them sending bullets to the military or Ukraine. The volume of SMKs and TMKs that go to the military is tiny.
You mentioned Barnes. Both Sierra and Barnes are owned by the Clarus Corp, which is listed as a footwear manufacturer and outdoor equipment company. It always seems that firearms companies go downhill when they are bought out by non-firearms investment groups. Hope that’s not the case for these two.

OP
E

ElPollo

WKR
It really is a mystery. With a year of diligent looking I accumulated 1k 77 tmks and 500 130 tmks, all on the secondary market, but the uncertainty on future availability has me seriously considering a switch to hornady for 6.5 bullets.
Agreed, I’m currently using 130 ELDMs instead of the TMK. The former has a bit better BC, but the latter seems to be a little tougher and penetrate just a little better.

A guy over on the lrh forum has cut them apart, the eldm jackets are .001" thinner than the tmk. That seems to make a real difference on tissue.

eoperator

WKR
I have pretty much given up on sierra their supply issues make it not worth waiting for.

SouthPaw

WKR
A guy over on the lrh forum has cut them apart, the eldm jackets are .001" thinner than the tmk. That seems to make a real difference on tissue.
The slightly thicker jacket on the TMK is what likely leads to a bit more penetration as it holds together maybe a smidge better. My guess is the massive poly tip and wider hollow cavity below is what contributes to the dramatic expansion upon impact.

140 ELDM vs 130TMK

140eld vs 130tmk.jpg

Rich M

WKR
I talked to then last year or the year before - got the same answer regarding the Pro Hunter line. I've got about 150 left and will be real sensitive about using them. Also bought 500 Interlocks to reload once my Pro Hunters are gone.

Sierra is not making bullets or making em for something else. Its a shame, they make a good bullet.