Sierra Designs Mountain Guide tarp shelter opinions

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

I've been looking into this shelter and it seems one of the less popular floorless designs but I've yet to read anything bad about it on the reviews I have found. Given REI members can get 20% off right now it seems to fulfill my wants at a very attractive cost.

A fellow Minnesotan that writes the American Grouch blog, americangrouch.com uses one and mentions rokslide. I'm not sure of his username here but I'd love to hear your thoughts or be pointed to a blog post with a review.

Update:
On a PC now so I'm adding a link...
https://www.sierradesigns.com/product/mountain-guide-tarp

Last edited:
That would be me.

So far I've enjoyed using it, did what I asked it to in some nasty weather. Put a SO XL stove in it and have had no issues. Couple pin holes but nothing bad.

Little over 5#s, plenty of space, nothing wrong with it. Anything specific you want to know?

155.jpg

083.jpg

034.jpg

223.jpg

085.jpg

117.jpg

267.jpg

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Great Photos AG. I love the Snow skirt on that tipi. Looks like a worthy shelter that will get the job done. Thanks for sharing the photos.

OP
Y

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
AG,
Thanks for the reply. Looks like a solid shelter but not much out there on the net about it. Glad to hear it's been a good shelter and I might pull the trigger on one.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Could this be the "replacement" for the GoLite SL5?

At twice the weight of the SL-5 (39 oz with fly/pole, 29 oz for fly/10 for pole, on the SL-5 vs 80 with fly/pole of the SD Mountain Guide) the Cimarron from Seek Outside has me a lot more excited than this one as a replacement for the SL-5 given they are both $350.

bergnp

FNG
Hey Luke, what advantages would the cimarron have over the MLD supermid?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hey Luke, what advantages would the cimarron have over the MLD supermid?

IDK, never seen either in person and everyone's needs are different. But the two doors is appealing as well as the more wind worthy designs (but may give up a tad of useable space because of it depending on how your orient things) of the Cimmaron is nice. Also the ability to have a stove jack option from the factory can be nice for some as well.

Don't think you could go wrong with either.