Should I change center serving one week before season?

Cfriend

FNG
I've got my bow shooting great with about a week to go before I leave for Colorado. I noticed my center serving had some separation, but didn't think much of it (I'm pretty ignorant on that sort of thing). Then I was watching a John Dudley video and he said that this can make your nock point slip and throw everything off.

Do you think I need to change this out before I go? I am hesitant to touch anything on the bow with this little time, but don't want to risk stuff moving. I plan to keep shooting it a good bit before I go. I've never done it but did order the tool - don't really trust the local shop for this.20240826_163810.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I would.

But I fix my own stuff and it’s a half hour total job for me.

I never go on a hunt without 100% confidence in my bow.

How much do you plan to shoot you bow while in CO? If you shoot just a little for muscle memory and to keep "current", you could always get some peep/nock serving thread and do a series of overhand knots across the separated area, put some string wax on and call it good until your back home.

Single overhand knots: tie one on the D-loop side, then another on the riser side. Alternate back and forth along the separation area extending approximately 1/8" on either end of the separation area.

3forks

WKR
Definitely change your center serving ASAP.

Your center serving will tend to slip high, which can have you shooting low by yards.

I can understand that you don’t want to mess with your bow while it’s shooting well for you, but it’s a matter of time before you’re going to have a real problem. Better to address it now while you’ve got some time and resources available rather than find out it’s an issue on your hunt.

Luked

WKR
If it was me and that was mine, With a week to go I would change it.
The biggest thing you would have an issue with is nock point area. A few simple measurements would keep me dang close and I could adjust the rest for up and down from there to get it tuned back in.
But like said above I do all my own stuff so it would not bother me at all.
If your a decent tuner it shouldn't be a huge issue really.

Yep. It's easy to redo serving. Take a sharpie and mark the top/bottom ends and you can match the total length of serving pretty easily. Levi Morgan has a video on interlocking wraps to keep the serving from slipping again like that.

OP
C

Cfriend

FNG
Thanks everyone, think I will go ahead and change it. How important do you think it is that I take the string off the bow and stretch to about 300 lb? I think I can rig something with a ratchet strap, but that will likely be the hardest part for me.

Ive seen videos from knowledgeable people doing it on the bow, but a lot of what I've read says that can cause peep twist problems...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
If that's on the btm, your nock set isn't going anywhere. Grab a fork out of the drawer and slide the serving up to the btm edge of the loop, 1/2" sections at a time.

Your peep is going to be at a different rotation if you redo the serving, no matter what.