SHOT Show: Eberlestock & Mystery Ranch

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I stopped by the Eberlestock booth and met Glen Eberle, had a good conversation about his up-&-coming gear for 2013
[video=vimeo;57569794]http://vimeo.com/57569794[/video]
http://www.vimeo.com/57569794

Last edited by a moderator:

Whisky

WKR
I like the layout of a lot of Eberle packs. Felt comfort with upper 40#+ was questionable. I like the looks of the layout of that new pack, especially if they improved the frame system. Will have to check it out.

A base layer with a bunch of holes in it, meh.

Thanks for posting. Always interested in seeing more packs.

jmez

WKR
Like the rest of their packs, no functional load lifters. Will feel fine until you put more than 40 pounds in it. I don't like the side hydration pockets either. Water is heavy and hard to balance when clear out on one side, unless you carry two full bladders. Needs to be in the middle.

dotman

WKR
Fyi...that pack will be at all RMEF banquets, should get to check it out soon.

dotman

WKR
Like the rest of their packs, no functional load lifters. Will feel fine until you put more than 40 pounds in it. I don't like the side hydration pockets either. Water is heavy and hard to balance when clear out on one side, unless you carry two full bladders. Needs to be in the middle.

Good thing is it retails for nowhere near what the new tenzing pack does, about $400 less if I remember right, already on their website. I'm guessing you could put a hydration bladder in the rifle pocket to center it. I have a feeling you are right on no load lifters for anyone over 5'9". Looks like a bigger version of the X2 to me.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
I have a Blue Widow, heavy but tough as nails. I think you could kick it down the mountain and not hurt it. I'm 6 foot and the load lifters don't work at all. They attach the same as these do. Pack works ok but, like I said if you get over 40 lbs it doesn't carry the best and not that comfortable. I still think they are a good option for guys that can't/don't want to spend $600-$800 on a pack.

dotman

WKR
I have a Blue Widow, heavy but tough as nails. I think you could kick it down the mountain and not hurt it. I'm 6 foot and the load lifters don't work at all. They attach the same as these do. Pack works ok but, like I said if you get over 40 lbs it doesn't carry the best and not that comfortable. I still think they are a good option for guys that can't/don't want to spend $600-$800 on a pack.

I had the BW and agree 100% and will always recommend them to someone with a $300 budget. I just always let them know comfort sucks but they sure are tanks.

metcalf looks like a good design. I like the side zip. Did they say how many CI that thing was? I am just worried about weight, my longbow was heavy, and it was smaller and didnt have the frame extenders. But his bag appears to have a lot less "stuff" inside that would add weight. pretty simple design.

BTW.... if they only added "almost 2 inches" to the frame.... there is NO WAY the lifters are functional on a 6'4'' guy. I am 6'2" and would have needed at least 3 inches to work as well as my DT.

Joe

R

red

metcalf looks like a good design. I like the side zip. Did they say how many CI that thing was? I am just worried about weight, my longbow was heavy, and it was smaller and didnt have the frame extenders. But his bag appears to have a lot less "stuff" inside that would add weight. pretty simple design.

BTW.... if they only added "almost 2 inches" to the frame.... there is NO WAY the lifters are functional on a 6'4'' guy. I am 6'2" and would have needed at least 3 inches to work as well as my DT.

Joe

Side zip is one of the best designs companies can put in a pack.

The NICE 6500 and 7500 already have side zippers?

Beastmode

WKR
The NICE 6500 and 7500 already have side zippers?

Yes they do. As well as a top load. The side zippers on these packs aren't really made for loading and unloading the pack because they dont alloe the pack to really open up large. They are more meant for getting one or two small items out of the bottom.

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Adding 2 inches to the 21 inch frame height only makes it 23 inches in length total. Thats what you will get out of an Eberlestock Blue Widow. I'd say you should seriously consider a kifaru frame for Torso Lengths of 19 inches or more when handling heavy loads. That 23 inch frame length is fine for moderate loads, but lacks the necessary lift for packing camp and meat out of the backcountry. The Mystery Ranch design is great, but they need to make a longer extension.

Right now I'm working a simple extension for my Eberlestock Skycrane II to push it up to 26 inches instead of the 23 to 24 inches. It should be simple enough for anyone to make, without making any alterations to the pack. It would be simple switch of stays and velcro attachment. If it works as I believe it will, I will post a video on how I made it. Also, the extension will work for any of the J-Series style packs that utilize the aluminum stays. Making an extension for the NICE frame is little more complicated, but I have seen people make them.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed Eberlstock has a thicker padded belt on thier site. Thinking about getting one for my bw if it will work on it. Thinking the extra padding would help in the comfort zone with heavier loads. I'm 5'8" so the lifters work for me but the belt does dig into me with loads over 50#.

Beastmode

WKR
I noticed Eberlstock has a thicker padded belt on thier site. Thinking about getting one for my bw if it will work on it. Thinking the extra padding would help in the comfort zone with heavier loads. I'm 5'8" so the lifters work for me but the belt does dig into me with loads over 50#.

A heavily padded waistbelt is hard to get tight and is hard to keep tight. Just something to consider. I had major issues with the waistbelt on my 6500 staying snug. Had to retighten every 1/8 mile or so. Can get anoying.

R

red

I have read on here many times that the MR packs do not have functional load lifters. How are the ones on a Kifaru bag different that make them more effective?

Also, I have read that the frame on the MR is only 21". I put a tape on my 6500 and it was 26" from the bottom to the top of the frame (where the load lifters connect and where the aluminum bars end) Am I measuring something wrong?

Thanks guys.