Short Barrel Magnums w/o Brake/Suppressor

Sevens

WKR
I have some suppressors sitting in jail, so have been reconsidering barrel length on a lot of rifles.

What I am curious about is how is shooting a large magnum in a short barrel without a brake or suppressor? I do not like brakes, haven’t been able to try a suppressor (waiting on you NFA), but could see myself every so often hunting a country that does not allow a suppressor.

If I took the suppressor off a 20” magnum (thinking 7PRC), is it going to be a fire breathing beast with horrible muzzle blast? Would 21-22” be any improvement in that regard?

I have a 20” 300 wsm that’s waiting on a suppressor. 8 lbs without the suppressor it is no fun to shoot. It’s also the first gun that’s ever made my ears ring shooting at an animal.

Dan Carey

FNG
There is no free lunch. The shorter the barrel, the more muzzle blast you have to contend with. Also, the shorter the barrel, the more the suppressor has to contend with. Your new suppressor will most likely produce 136 db with a 26" bbl. and 140 with a 20" barreled magnum rifle. The pain threshold in the human ear is 125-140. I have 13 AAC m4 2000 suppressors. There is a lot of information on Silencer Central about noise.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I have some suppressors sitting in jail, so have been reconsidering barrel length on a lot of rifles.

What I am curious about is how is shooting a large magnum in a short barrel without a brake or suppressor? I do not like brakes, haven’t been able to try a suppressor (waiting on you NFA), but could see myself every so often hunting a country that does not allow a suppressor.

If I took the suppressor off a 20” magnum (thinking 7PRC), is it going to be a fire breathing beast with horrible muzzle blast? Would 21-22” be any improvement in that regard?
I built my 7 PRC at 22" only because it will be suppressed, if not, I would have chosen 24". Still, there is probable not much difference in the muzzle blast at 20" v 22".