Shooting vs Shooting

Let's see those photos and videos of game shot only with a camera, not anything else.

Randle

WKR
OP. ? Why not shoot that bull you had a weapon?
No tag? Season closed?

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Trophy hunters get a bad rap and far too many people hate trophy hunters and trophy hunting out of pure ignorance. They seem to think everything walking around is a treasured trophy waiting to be murdered by a hunter. The truth is simply that trophy hunters pass on a lot of animals that others would not. Trophy hunting is ethical in every way. If you view the video on youtube you'll find this:

So trophy hunters are the people who have encounters like this and choose to shoot the bull with the camera on their phone instead of their bow. This bull is still walking around cuz he was too small and get this...this happened on the bowhunter's last day of hunting.

Let's see your videos.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Here's a bull I was chasing around in 2015. Obviously the date stamp is wrong, I didn't have time to reset it after replacing the batteries. It was Sep 9. I had been on top of the ridge right above him 20 minutes earlier, where I called from. He responded and then I went after him. 20 minutes later I hear him bugle and look up to see him there. We just about traded places with each other. So I decided to take a pic before heading up a small draw to the right to try and get out in front of them. When I got to the top I couldn't find them again. I was about 200 yards away from him when I took the pic.

This bull was very recognizable because he had a bugle that almost sounded like a horse whinny. I played cat and mouse with this bull a few times that season. Then in 2017 I took my daughter to this spot opening morning of ML with her tag and I bugled from that ridge. And there he was.......whinnying from the bottom. We stayed up top that time, but he didn't come our way. Tried to get on him but his spot is a great spot for him. The wind is almost always swirling in that bottom, as there are five draws that all come together.
100_2814.JPG

Randle

WKR
I get it now. I am a meat for the family hunter so no need to pass on that respectable bull .

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Bull elk are magnificent animals. Not all need to be on a trophy wall. I'm happy you let him live to see another day.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Video shot my a fellow trophy hunter (he's from NY) that year...it was the same day I missed mine. We were both hunting the same unit in northern AZ seeking bulls over 350...mine popped out further away then I expected, he was huge. Looked closer than he was. Planned to shoot him at 11 yards but at the last minute he sidestepped, I under-estimated the distance and shot right under him...missing the heart by about 9". Was my first shot at a game animal with my recurve. Caller & I both expected him to follow the brushline and catch him on video (eying the decoy) but he was a smart dominant bull. You can hear him screaming at me in the video. Guessed he was 25-28 yards but when I paced it off, he was at 39 yards when I shot. Happy it was a clean miss but wasn't worried about eating the tag, had 1 1/2 elk in the chest freezer. There was no pressure on me...glad I held out and didn't shoot the lesser bulls that came to the call. The one I missed was about 380.

best viewed full screen w/ volume up.

Last edited:
OP
Where's Bruce?
At least the jump to full illeism wasn't made quite yet.
Illeism, great word. I wasn't claiming to be the hunter in that one but can tell ya this, the guy that did shoot this is operating at a level I can only aspire to. He's an amazing guy...and amazingly likeable. Not judgy like so many Roksliders nowadays. Why can't everyone just enjoy the clip without going into hyper-critical mode? Some of you just need to relax. Jeez.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Illeism, great word. I wasn't claiming to be the hunter in that one but can tell ya this, the guy that did shoot this is operating at a level I can only aspire to. He's an amazing guy...and amazingly likeable. Not judgy like so many Roksliders nowadays. Why can't everyone just enjoy the clip without going into hyper-critical mode? Just relax. Jeez.
I had to look up Rickey Henderson quotes to figure out what it was!