Shooting off Bipod Bad Groupings

I’ve always shot off a bench with bags or a front rest/rear bag. I got a bipod and shot off a concrete bench today with a rear bag and best group I managed was 1.6 MOA at 100. This is a sub MOA Bergara HMR in 6.5 PRC off bags/front rest.

Anyone got tips or advice?

OP
General RE LEE
odd did you add a longer sling stud ? If so make sure it’s not contacting the barrel

Odd? I thought most people that use a stud mounted bipod mount it on the stud with the bipod legs pointing forward when not deployed.

JFK

WKR
If you aren’t loading it, the rifle will have a tendency to hop and groups will open up a bit. I shoot off a bipod at the range sometimes, but always seem to shoot smaller groups off a pack or bags. Seems to keep recoil moving more straight back.

I’ve always shot off a bench with bags or a front rest/rear bag. I got a bipod and shot off a concrete bench today with a rear bag and best group I managed was 1.6 MOA at 100. This is a sub MOA Bergara HMR in 6.5 PRC off bags/front rest.

Load the bipod by leaning forward into the shot. If you don't the rifle will not be stable through the trigger pull.

CRJR45

WKR
Funny , I shoot better off a bipod than bags , and I try to let the gun set free , only touching the trigger , with my off hand on the rear bag

LaHunter

WKR

Shooting off a bipod takes a different technique vs shooting from sand bags on a bench. Snipers Hide has some really good info / videos on shooting from a bipod, and shooting technique in general. If shooting from a slick top bench with a bipod, it is hard to 'load' the bipod without it sliding forward.

Lawnboi

WKR
Loading a bipod heavily is not always an option in a field situation. Instead pull any slack in the rifle back with your shooting hand. Especially with light rifles. On top of that recreating that load from grass to concrete to sand to your fancy mat that has a bipod stop all changes things

One of the biggest issues I see with shooters used to bags when going to a bipod/bag is not properly supporting the rifle and letting the bag do all the work.

kthomas

FNG
Benches have horrible ergonomics for trying to shoot a precision rifle. By design, the body is completely canted when shooting from a bench, which the recoil of the rifle will exploit.

Without seeing your groups, its all just a guessing game of what's going wrong.

- Are you perfectly square behind the rifle? (probably not, if shooting from a bench)
- Are you consistently applying the same pressure on the cheek rest from shot to shot?
- What pressure is the firing hand applying to the grip?
- Are you pulling the trigger STRAIGHT back, and holding slightly after each shot (i.e. not slapping the trigger)
- Are you applying consistent pressure into the bipod, shot after shot? Is the bipod square to the target?
- How is your rear bag being controlled by the support hand? Are you subconsciously doing a "sympathetic squeeze" each shot? Is the bag setup correct to the rifle?
- How is your breathing control? Are you breaking the shot consistently at the same time in your breathing cycle? You aren't holding your breath, right?

I never shoot from a bench, the ergonomics are horrible. I lay prone next to them, squaring up as much as I can behind the rifle. And each shot I focus on the fundamentals.

wapitibob

WKR

Vortex has a good YouTube on bipods, it’s worth a look. Bipod feet need to stick solidly, they use spiked feet for wooden benches. A friend shoots little groups with a bipod but his bipod feet are locked in with a mat and sandbags.
I had the same issue as you so I no longer use a bipod.

s1768s

FNG
I just learned about loading the bipod and it certainly made a difference. It was a good tip on a trip a few weeks ago.