Shoe Recommendations - Non-Hunting

tacotim

FNG
might want to try separate sole inserts for support. i cant think of the brand right now, maybe its superfoot or similar. it has different shims for the arch to get the fit right. makes a big difference when you're on your feet alot.

jbs29

FNG
+1 on the Hokas - have used for years and get 600+ miles out of them. Also Salomon speed cross - have had goretex version for 10+ years, wear all winter. Not the most comfy, but durable as heck and super traction in snow/mud

Mdanks

FNG
Looking for recommendations on shoes for every day wear. I've always run asics and brooks, but I'm looking for something a little more durable. I'm about 6'4 230lbs so I'm sure the weight cuts the lifespan of the shoe down considerably. I tend to wear them out pretty quickly as they are worn from the time I get up until I go to bed. I like the idea of a salomon hiking shoe, but unfortunately they only go up to a size 14. I need something in the size 15 range.

Anyone have any experience with a durable shoe that provides relatively good support?
HOKA. Best shoes you can buy for durability/stability yet they are light weight.

OP
ndbwhunter
Thank you all for the recommendations. Ended up going with the Altra Lone Peak 6. Definitely a different fit/feel going from a supportive shoe to something with zero drop. The stiffness and soreness in my bad is pretty much gone and the shoes seem to be holding up very well. The wide toe box took a bit to get used to, but now I'm loving the extra room.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I been wearing Merrells for quite a while, but now that they've gone "woke" I'm gonna try some Keen shoes.
I love my Keen Hikers.

Not sure what model of Brooks, but the Cascadia's are fairly durable and often used by through hikers. The past couple models have been a bit narrow through the toe box, but the Cascadia 16's are a bit wider. Topo Athletics have a wider toe box (not quite as wide as Altra) if that's something you are looking for.

I'm a big boy too...Merrell Moabs (Ventilators for most of the year, waterproof for winter) cuz they come in wide sizes and last a long time. Hit a sale and load up. I have 6 pairs.

When you go north of 200pds stay away from EVA and move towards purchasing shoes & boots with a polyurethane midsole - makes a huge different in comfort and definitely longevity.

Thirty-Two makes insoles for their snowboard boots that come with multiple arch inserts - these insoles I actually run in a few of my hunting boots, they last and feel awesome and are really customizable. They are like 50 bucks.

Another option for insoles when you weigh more is to try out skater insoles like Footprints brand. Those are created for people to jump from pretty high onto concrete while on a skateboard and not fracture/hurt yourself. They have a vid of dropping an egg onto them without breaking the egg - kinda cool. They heat mold to your footshape.

Also - look for Adidas running or hiking shoes with their "boost" midsole - those last and are incredibly comfortable. Stay away from their EVA stuff though - it will blow out too fast.

Theres a coupla ideas anyways - HTH.

cams

FNG
Lot of healthcare workers using Hoka One Ones. They’re usually on their feet all day. (except for admin or lazy ones at least.)

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Merrell but I just got the Scarpa Crux Approach shoes and they are great for daily wear or mild trails.

bullnose

FNG
Sure I'll get slammed for this from some shoe snobs, and while I have "better" boots and shoes I really like my keen targhees. They have held up well, and are well abused, I've worn the tread to nothing and shoe gooped the rubber on a couple times.
I had a pair of these and they were by far the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever worn. They only got worse as I tried to wear them in. I don't know if I got a bad pair or they just aren't built for me feet. If you get a pair wear them inside for a day or two to make sure you like them.

For what it's worth, I'm glad to hear they work well for others.

HaydenB

Lil-Rokslider
Lowa Malta GTX. I work construction and these are the best shoes I’ve ever worked in. Lightweight not hot and super comfortable. I won’t ever buy a different shoe to work in and that’s saying something.

I had a pair of these and they were by far the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever worn. They only got worse as I tried to wear them in. I don't know if I got a bad pair or they just aren't built for me feet. If you get a pair wear them inside for a day or two to make sure you like them.

For what it's worth, I'm glad to hear they work well for others.
Huh. No experience with Targhees, but both pairs of Pyrenees feel like my feet are surrounded by a litter of soft newborn puppies.