Shelter Suggestions for Late Oct- Early Nov

brn2hnt

WKR
So I'm looking to do more spike camps and bivy's out of the main wall tent base camp during my elk and deer hunts last week of October and first weeks of November. This year will be central Idaho, but if I am going to spend the money to get setup well, I'd like to be able to use it most anywhere in the west as well. What are your guys thoughts? Currently only have an alps mountaineering 3 season tent. Let's hear it!

jm1607

WKR
If you just take a tarp you'll save alot of weight.. And you won't have to worry about taking your boots off and crap.. Can always add a stove later too..

Best budget tarp IMO is the Bear Paw Wilderness Canopy 2, it's what I have and love.. I can post pics if you like

If you have more money to spend, you can get the Canopy 2 in cuben fiber or checkout the Kifaru Megatarp (new version coming out soon).. both these tarps are very similar dimensions/cut.. the Canopy 2 is wider but the Megatarp is longer

Lots of options out there but these are my favorite

Last edited:

204guy

WKR
That time of year is stove weather to me. It can pretty dang nice or brutal depending on the year and elevation. For 1-2 people I'd be waiting for the new mega tarp if I wanted lightest possible. For a shelter I could stand up in a Sawtooth, but there's a weight penalty. Being able to stand up and get dressed can be dang nice when the interior wall of your shelter is covered in frost. One of Seek Outsides shelters would likely fit the bill also but I have no experience with them.

bbrown

WKR
For just you I would think the Supertarp , annex and stove would be a good bivy set up for a night or 2. The Sawtooth would be awesome for that and just about anything else in the west that time of year and you could actually be pretty comfortable for longer trips that might be rough (but doable) in the Supertarp.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Jarrod, what is your LBO configuration with the stove? I'm thinking about that setup for its versatility.

I was thinking (eventually) base-3piece vestibule for early season and base-base with stove for late season.

Ironman8

WKR
I know I'm not Jarrod but I ran a LBO + 3pc with stove last year in Idaho along with my brother in law. It was a little cramped but we made it work, although it would definitely have been more comfortable with two basses. During that trip I was solo for four days when he had to go back to work and the base/3pc was awesome solo.

The way I see it, with stove use:
Solo: Base/3pc
Two: Base/Base or Base/Tarp/Base if you want tons of room
3-4: Base/Tarp/Base

Been using a hilleberg for the last couple years but they are going to stay home after archery season this year. the new mega tarp w/ cylinder stove is on the list for my later season trips

OP
B

brn2hnt

WKR
Been using a hilleberg for the last couple years but they are going to stay home after archery season this year. the new mega tarp w/ cylinder stove is on the list for my later season trips
This setup has been getting a lot of my attention these last few days. I like the idea of this setup with a bivy

handwerk

WKR
My son and I will be packing in for a late season montana hunt and will be using a cimarron and a cylinder stove. Past winters I've been pretty happy with my SO 6 man/stove combo on winter fishing trips in the BWCA with lots of wind, snow and cold.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I have also had the 6 man SO Mine was the heavy 70 d fabric. It was comfortable and worked great in the wind but a bit heavy. I sold it.
I was going to go with SO LBO set up but Angie made me a deal on a 4 man I could not pass up. I kept my Large stove. The comfort and security that system allows me for the weight 4 lbs 6 oz. is well worth the weight penalty. I considered a Backcountry shelter I am sure I would have been happy with it as well but I am VERY happy with the performance with SO and their products. I would purchase again from SO in a heartbeat.

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
And SO's customer service is outstanding. Got a problem? Need some advice? Warranty issues? Just give them a call. Great people to do business with.

I know I'm not Jarrod but I ran a LBO + 3pc with stove last year in Idaho along with my brother in law. It was a little cramped but we made it work, although it would definitely have been more comfortable with two basses. During that trip I was solo for four days when he had to go back to work and the base/3pc was awesome solo.

The way I see it, with stove use:
Solo: Base/3pc
Two: Base/Base or Base/Tarp/Base if you want tons of room
3-4: Base/Tarp/Base

Yeah I agree with these options. I'm only running the base and 3pc right now since I just picked it up this past spring. Two with a stove is tight but 80% of the time Im solo so this setup is amazing by myself, so far I've only really shared the shelter with my wife so it aint bad at all :) If I shared my shelter more often then I'd want Base/Base if I were to run a stove.

I love the fact that I can add another base and tarp if I want. Def versatile