Sheep rifle scope

DuckDogDr

WKR
Narrowed my choices down to 2.
Going with Nightforce as have had really good luck on my elk gun after falling down the side of the mountain and TSA throwing my case like it’s a shot put. And I am a clumsy MF’er so I foresee lots of falling in my future.

My 2 choices are the NXS 2.5-10x44 which comes in at 20oz (30mm tube) - can use the rings I have now

Or the ATACR 4-16x50 which comes in at 32oz .. or 3/4 lb more .. ultimately more light transmission with a 34 mm tube
Both have zero stop and the same reticle I want.

Current rifle is 7lbs 6 oz with rings

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with the NXS. The ATACR is an awesome scope but overkill for sheep/backpacking rifle. At almost a pound heavier counterproductive and probably won’t balance well on a lightweight rifle. I love my NXS 2.5-10 and have taken it hunting goats/elk/sheep/caribou. I find it entertaining getting into camp and watch guys adjust there zero and fiddle with their scopes right before going out. After several years of mountain abuse it has never shifted zero on me and has never left me wanting more in the field. I am by no means a long distance shooter but feel very confident out to 500 yards.

Freeride

FNG
Between your choices I would go NXS, bomb proof, you slip or fall and you dont worry about it.

Plus you dont need a lot of light transmission for sheep.

NXS 2.5-10x42

I’ve had this scope on my sheep rifle for the last 9 years/hunts. It’s a great compromise between rugged durability, light weight and magnification range.

I never had a scope move from air travel. At least 20 hunting trips, with connections on every flight trip.
Zeiss & Swar. Never a problem.

Antares

WKR
I never had a scope move from air travel. At least 20 hunting trips, with connections on every flight trip.
Zeiss & Swar. Never a problem.

OP is not asking about Zeiss or Swarovski. He's asking about two specific NF models.

OP - I would also go with the NXS, no question.

carter33

WKR
Narrowed my choices down to 2.
Going with Nightforce as have had really good luck on my elk gun after falling down the side of the mountain and TSA throwing my case like it’s a shot put. And I am a clumsy MF’er so I foresee lots of falling in my future.

My 2 choices are the NXS 2.5-10x44 which comes in at 20oz (30mm tube) - can use the rings I have now

Or the ATACR 4-16x50 which comes in at 32oz .. or 3/4 lb more .. ultimately more light transmission with a 34 mm tube
Both have zero stop and the same reticle I want.

Current rifle is 7lbs 6 oz with rings

I have and love both scopes, cannot go wrong with either. The only reason I would lean towards the ATACR would be for the capped windage. I have probably taken more game with my NXS 2.5-10 and have just made it a habit to check it when taking it in and out of a pack or case and before a shot as well. Wish they would release one with a capped windage. The weight savings of the NXS is considerable though....

Could also take a look at the ATACR 4-16x42 FFP MOAR scope, shaves a couple ounces. I have seen weight listings at 28.5 and 30oz but haven't weighed one personally.

USMC-40

WKR
I think the NXS is almost the ideal mountain rifle scope. The ATACR is a great scope, but I wouldn’t pack one on a backpack hunt. The 3/4 pound is significant, and if applied to other aspects of a gear list then it would get out of hand quickly.

Put a good rifle/optics cover on the rifle (like the solo hunter one) and then bumping knobs is almost a non-existent possibility. At least in my experience. I check knobs religiously and have never had it happen, and that’s when the rifle has been strapped to my pack, on my shoulder, or coming out of a rifle scabbard on a horse.

I see a lot of guys with the NXS. I went with the VX5 3-15 at 19oz with a 7SAUM due to capped windage and zero lock. My scopes get so bashed on mountain hunts the last thing I want to worry about is my zero from a turret.

Good luck with that NXS, definitely in my top 3 for a sheep scope that allows you to dial effectively.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
Should be here today or tomorrow.
Placing it atop my 25 creed my buddy built for me.
Ordering one for my 300 SAUM as well as soon as I get the funds

SwiftShot

WKR
NXS. I have found I never go real high magnification when actually hunting. I am usually on 4 to 6, it lets me see the impact better. Your spotting scope is for admiring the animal, so it needs to be pretty and zoom way in. Your rifle scope is for killing it, it needs to allow you to clearly see the vitals and mark the crosshairs on them.