Sheep hunting Colorado S28 / S54

Cfmartin

FNG
i am looking to discuss the pros and Cons of hunting either S28 or S54 in Colorado. I am debating switching my tactics this year and putting in for one of these units. I currently have 18 weighted points and have been discouraged for many years with the lottery system. Ive always put in for unit S32 as this was my hometown unit and ive been on multiple sheep hunts with others that were successful. with that being said after 21 years of putting in my odds of drawing are about 4%.

Has any one on here hunted either of these two units or possibly know someone that i could speak with? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I assume you're referring to a rifle hunt? Odds on rifle hunts are pretty low. I had a quick look ( I like sheep hunting, and researching) and it really looks like sheep in 28 are hard to come by, and not much better for 54, and all of the rams as of late seem pretty small to me.

I'd pick your unit and stay the course if you have good intel. S32 isn't what it used to be by a long shot, but there are still sheep there and the harvest data shows that. S32 rams are pretty sheep, but a 165 or better is a great ram out of there these days.

Good Luck, I hope you draw soon.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I know S28 pretty well. Spend a lot of time riding in that country. I know right about where the sheep are at. Some hunters took a monster out of there this past season. It’s a very tough hunt. But I suppose most sheep hunting is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westslopelaker

Lil-Rokslider
I scouted and unsuccessfully hunted S28 for 22 days in 2019. During my hunt the closest sheep I saw was 13 miles in from the trailhead.

I would recommend S28 if you have the ability to hunt the entire 30 day season with a partner and you have your own horses. In my experience it takes an entire day to get from your truck to the sheep habitat. A majority of the sheep are very far from the access points.

Here is a internet photo of the unit, I saw sheep and hunted the craggy peaks in the background.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-18-22-54-15-84_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-18-22-54-15-84_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: