Sheep Hunt. Digital Camera, Cell Phone Camera or Both ??

I am planning a Alaskan Dall Sheep Hunt. I am Very Concerned about the weight of my pack. I understand this may be a once in a lifetime trip. I am looking for opinions on a Digital Camera or using My Cell Phone Camera. ( Obviously ) I don't want to be taking my cell phone out and losing it.
I'm also concerned about battery usage and carrying a Battery Charger or Spare Battery Packs.

battery back up are pretty small and inexpensive now. Your phone will take more than adequate pictures in most situations. The trick on a long multi day hunt is to make sure you turn the phone off completely when not using it. I would take my phone, a battery backup and a garmin in reach. Just because you will be with a guide does not mean shit cant go wrong.

OP
F
battery back up are pretty small and inexpensive now. Your phone will take more than adequate pictures in most situations. The trick on a long multi day hunt is to make sure you turn the phone off completely when not using it. I would take my phone, a battery backup and a garmin in reach. Just because you will be with a guide does not mean shit cant go wrong.
That was going to be another one of my questions. I don't think I want the weight of a Satellite Phone. But I would like the ability to text. Do you have an opinion on which In Reach to take ?

tuffcity

WKR
The InReach explorer weighs about 7.5 ounces. Paired to your cell phone with the earthmate app you can text.

I use this unit a lot, both for work and recreation and it's rarely not in the pack, truck, boat, quad or snow machine.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Get a couple of wasabi batteries for your camera and make sure they are charged before you leave base camp. Unless you are taking really long videos, you will prob never need to put in another battery. I wouldnt whip your phone out for pics until you have those horns in your hands.....then get out every camera or phone anyone has and take lots.

ODB

WKR
Camera. There are some incredible small-frame APS-C cameras these days.

wyosteve

WKR
I take both. A small Canon or Nikon that slips inside a pocket with a spare battery or two. Very minimal weight penalty. Typically leave my phone at camp to lessen the chance of losing it.

Cameraland set me up with an Olympus camera (bout $700) after I told them how pissed off I was with my junk cell phones ruining my “trophy” pictures. Now I can blow them up to 11x14 for framing and they still look great. You can certainly go bigger than that and if I was holding a sheep in sheep country I’m sure I would. No way I’d trust capturing that memory to a cellphone.

OP
F
Cameraland set me up with an Olympus camera (bout $700) after I told them how pissed off I was with my junk cell phones ruining my “trophy” pictures. Now I can blow them up to 11x14 for framing and they still look great. You can certainly go bigger than that and if I was holding a sheep in sheep country I’m sure I would. No way I’d trust capturing that memory to a cellphone.
Good thoughts, Thanks,

I agree with WyoSteve on the small pocket-size Nikon or the like. A handy external pocket on a bino harness or pack works well for quick access. Meeting in the middle and getting a medium-sized camera like the Nikon P500 or the bigger P1000 gives some versatility with less weight and gives the option for better video as well.

OP
F
I agree with WyoSteve on the small pocket-size Nikon or the like. A handy external pocket on a bino harness or pack works well for quick access. Meeting in the middle and getting a medium-sized camera like the Nikon P500 or the bigger P1000 gives some versatility with less weight and gives the option for better video as well.
Thats what im thinking,
Something accessible, to keep handy.