Shed pup

VANDAL

WKR
Here's a pic of my 1 yr old wirehire pup...I'm impressed with how fast she's learning. This is her 4th shed that she's found and retrieved on her own.

IMG-20130216-00163[1].jpg

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Haven't posted a pic for a while but that little pencil never appeared that you click on to enlarge the pic... Anyone know why?

Last edited:

Jager

WKR
Nice looking pup mate, take good care of her.

We just lost our 2 year old Wirehaired Viszla, breaks a man's heart, I don't mind admitting that.

May u have,many happy times together in the field.

CaseyU

WKR
Very good looking pup mine is four months old border collie mix and found two herself i am pumped. I know how cool the sight of your pup running back with some bone is. Have fun uploadfromtaptalk1364012872066.jpg

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good stuff Vandal and Casey.....very cool to see your dogs come back with the bounty! Jager, sorry to hear that Man....there are very few things that are as tough as losing mans best friend.

Here is my 5 year old Black Lab with her first of this year....

attachment.php

Here is the new puppy, Fletch, he will be 100% dedicated to sheds... Might take him duck hunting a little bit, but sheds will be his job :) He is showing some good signs early on...

attachment.php

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Nice pics guys! Shed dogs are defintley a new concept to me and I am by no means an expert trainer. My past dogs have all been bird dogs so I've hesitated to train them on hunting something else besides. I haven't hunted birds too much the last couple years so I figured I'd work with them on sheds.

I have another 8 yr old bird dog and I started training him this year for sheds as well. He actually is catching on pretty quick. He's retrieved 3 sheds this year for me. In fact, my last trip out I found 1 shed and the dogs found 5. All I do is have them smell a shed and get them really excited if I pick one up or once they bring them back. Also if I spot a shed from a distance I'll tell them to "get the shed" and hunt for it until they find and retrieve it. So you can teach an old dog new tricks.

We'll see this fall during bird hunting if they start bringing back bones and other stuff instead of pointing a rooster.