Sharing Garmin inReach?

N.ID7803

WKR
Is it possible to share or loan out your inReach? My brother in law is going on a shed hunt and wants to be able to check in with his prego wife. I have an an inReach Mini I was going to let him use, but not sure if it will work like I think it will. Let me know if anyone has any experience doing this.

I did it last season, your brother will have to download the app and use your login info unless he wants to create and pay for his own account. My buddy and I shared mine last season though and it worked just fine. Make sure whoever is not using the device has to completely remove it from their Bluetooth settings in their phone though. It kept trying to connect to the last connected phone unless you completely remove it

I've loaned mine to a buddy a couple of times with no issues. You may want to login to your account and temporarily change the emergency contact so that in the off chance he has to trigger an SOS dispatchers would call his wife instead of yours.

CJ19

WKR
Pretty sure if you have the insurance plan option it will not cover him. Furthermore, make sure you really like and the trust the guy bc if he needs to be sos rescued for some reason and has a 50k helicopter bill...you could be on the hook for it as well. Other than that. There is no reason he cant use it to stay touch or as a last ditch sos in life threaten circumstances.

f16jack

WKR
I used my InReach for helicopter extract from a wilderness elk hunt last September.

Concur with changing contact info if you loan it out.

The Garmin subscription is for the device. The subscription merely pays for someone at the other end to coordinate a rescue (for anyone) when the SOS button is pressed.
The cost of the rescue is unrelated to the SOS function of the Inreach.
If you have additional rescue coverage it is for you, whether it is Garmin's or Global Rescue or the like.

Cost of rescue is a function of the state you are rescued in. I was rescued in Wyoming, where all rescues are at no charge to the rescued individual. I learned that after I was rescued.
You can see my rescue on YouTube.
(I made this clip for the Teton Count SAR)

I used my InReach for helicopter extract from a wilderness elk hunt last September.

Concur with changing contact info if you loan it out.

The Garmin subscription is for the device. The subscription merely pays for someone at the other end to coordinate a rescue (for anyone) when the SOS button is pressed.
The cost of the rescue is unrelated to the SOS function of the Inreach.
If you have additional rescue coverage it is for you, whether it is Garmin's or Global Rescue or the like.

Cost of rescue is a function of the state you are rescued in. I was rescued in Wyoming, where all rescues are at no charge to the rescued individual. I learned that after I was rescued.
You can see my rescue on YouTube.
(I made this clip for the Teton Count SAR)

cool video!