SG X curve on a budget (ALICE large bag on SG)

Ark6

FNG
Howdy all, thought I’d leave a “before” post, and I’ll try to remember to come back after and update to see how it works out.
I just got my SG xcurve minimalist in the mail, I wanted the roll top bag but didn’t expect to use it for this hunt. However, I was a little too budget conscious to buy a regular bag (I’m a relatively new hunter so have had a lot of expenses) and as I have quite a few miles under a heavy pack and a bit of a diy streak I figured I could modify my trusty ALICE which has been with me through some scrapes here and there.
First, I was pleased to see the width isn’t as far off as I expected, and the compression straps fit well around the pack, even had a couple of attachment points which they went through and seemed to work out well enough.
Second, the shelf/lift panel fit well under and around the bag, so think keeping things high should be doable.
Third, the ALICE straps seem about tue same width as the ones on the SG frame,
Forth, not a positive, the top is giving me some issues with attachment points from the frame to the bag, figure I’ll do some cutting and sewing (to the bag, not the frame) and get it fixed up.
Fifth, the ALICE bag is a bit noisy, not really at all weather resistant, and the compression straps may impede use of the lower/larger external pockets.
Sixth, the bag may not be as long as would best use the frame, so I may end up putting my sleep system in a WP bag on the load shelf under the main bag.
Will try to report back after, hope this isn’t too much of the same old same old, but I couldn’t easily find a large ALICE/new frame thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Ark6

FNG
I found some clips from a camelback (hoping I don’t need those ) and sewed loops into the vertical straps to accept them on top, used the standard ALICE bottom connection with the frame strap. Everything seems to fit ok, not great, but good enough for now. I already wish I had a tripod pocket and a rifle carrier built in. Looking at adding a sleep system carrier to the bottom, as it won’t weigh much, she I like access to things without messing up the sleep system and pad. I think putting my tent above that but below the main pack which will allow access without impeding the pack. Thoughts? I’m able to sew and have multiple Alice packs already, so have material available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Ark6

FNG
Got back from my hunt (Northern AZ cow elk hunt) I didn’t see anything but two of the other guys on the hunt did and scored a cow each. I have several miles under the pack now so both love and hate it. I’ll be making or buying a lid for sure. I want to add an attachment point for the lower straps to hook to. I want to sew a tripod case for the left side and add a rifle carrier to the right side. Also looking at exchanging or adding a water resistant layer up the back and as a flap like the normal Alice cover to reduce water infiltration and meat juice through the pack for when I use it as a meat hauler.
I might add a zipper down the bag as well to increase access, will see, that’s a future project. I’d also like a stove pouch somehow as I really like my Coleman multifuel all in one stove, it is a bit heavy but works great with the kit I have and never fails, while also being able to digest any flammable liquid I’ve put in it over the years.

The bag was light and functional as is, just not easy to access things and I didn’t have that much in it at a time.
SG frame was excellent, when I bought it I had in mind “If I don’t like it I’ll sell it and get another brand to try” I think I’ll stick with it, it fit pretty well out of the box, and the ability to mount a holster on one side and my fhf nalgene carrier on the other was excellent, though the added weight on the hip belt made it a little awkward to get on at times, it didn’t matter that much as I tended to wear the pack the majority of the day, but in a more on and off type trip I’d probably want a dedicated water carrier a little higher and on the pack, and I’ve been planning to add a holster to my chest rig, as I don’t generally take that off at all during the day (will need wider shoulder straps for this though).

I welcome thoughts, judgements, ideas, and comments of all kinds, lay it on.

Thanks!