SG vs Kifaru frame

lintond

WKR
Looking for input from those that have used both the duplex and the Evo/X-curve frames carrying 50+#. Don’t care about bags or other features.

I have been running a duplex for many years and consistently have hip pain when packing heavy. Thinking about trying something else to see if it might help an SG has always been on my list. Or maybe I’m just a pus&y…

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Brotha, you are such a "pus&y". Hey, only kidding. I have both, for heavier loads I prefer the Kifaru, but the SG is not bad. I have a buddy that uses a SG, and he raves about it. For me, they both fit me well; but that is not the case for everyone. It wouldn't hurt to give the SG a try. Maybe someone near you will let give theirs a try.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
The hip pain could really just be something that is going to happen regardless of pack. When people have pain with our packs, it is when the Lumbar is rubbing their backs. and that happens when they have the wrong stays or wrap the belt around the wrong area.

your hips could just not be ready to handle that kind of weight for distance. and just could be a natural thing. heavy pack outs are going to hurt in some sort of ways every time.

do you train a lot before season. like heavy weight training and long hikes?

peterk123

WKR
Can you explain what you mean by hip pain? Are you talking about something pinching or rubbing, or is it more a muscular/circulation type pain?

If it's the latter then I believe it can be fixed with training. I'm 56 years old. I get over 50 lbs and my hips will start to bother me after a while. However, if I train more, or as the season progresses, my hips get stronger can handle the weight for longer periods.

I had 90 pounds on my back a month ago and a 2.5 mile hike. After a mile of hiking the only way to create relief was to lay down for 30 seconds. All on me. My body was just not used to the weight. No pack frame would have fixed it.

This off season I'm going to focus more on strengthening this part of my body. I think it is a tough part of the body to train, which is why carrying a load can be so painful for some.

*zap*

WKR
hip strength/flexibility is something important to train specifically for.....one legged rdl and in the down position rotate hip on the side of the raised leg all the way toward the floor and then all the way up. Bss is also good....good mornings and dl's but there is no rotation in those two exercises so you need more than that. The one legged stuff also helps keep knees strong as you age.

SG & Kifaru are both great pack systems. Owning both is a great idea.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
The hip pain could really just be something that is going to happen regardless of pack. When people have pain with our packs, it is when the Lumbar is rubbing their backs. and that happens when they have the wrong stays or wrap the belt around the wrong area.

your hips could just not be ready to handle that kind of weight for distance. and just could be a natural thing. heavy pack outs are going to hurt in some sort of ways every time.

do you train a lot before season. like heavy weight training and long hikes?

I do train carrying around 60# on hikes around the neighborhood and the occasional trail hike in addition to my lifting & cardio. I assume it’s likely more of a me thing but having never tried anything else I thought it might be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Make sure you have the right height for your waist belt....middle of the belt on the illiac crest is what does it for me...I also get a better fit if I pull down on the belt and then latch it.

peterk123

WKR
Make sure you have the right height for your waist belt....middle of the belt on the illiac crest is what does it for me...I also get a better fit if I pull down on the belt and then latch it.
This is a great point. I found that having the belt a tad higher provides relief for some reason.

In my experience, neighborhood and trail hikes just don't compare to off trail. I don't think its you pack.
Work on glute strength. Squats, step ups etc.

Jimss

WKR
The closer training is to actual hunting conditions the better prepared you will be. I hike hills almost every day at work so actually don’t need to do anything else.

Kifaru has quite a few adjustments and that’s what makes kifaru frames so nice. Make sure you have the proper size and adjustments for your particular body. Not only adjust the shoulder straps but the belt, sternum strap and load lifters properly.

I would also highly recommend trekking poles…especially when on steep terrain with a hefty load. You will be amazed at how well trekking poles take the load and pressure off your knees and lower back. You also need to figure out the proper pole cadence, strap usage, and planting of the poles. it is more complicated than you may think to poles properly and effectively.