Setup my blind last weekend

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
I put out a brush blind for archery season on the 15th of August. I forgot how mush work this is, Ha Ha. I have been using portable blinds for several years but this year I decided to build one the old way because it came up in one of the threads a while back and I thought it may help someone that wants to do the same. Also I hope to prevent someone from stealing an expensive blind as this location is somewhat easy to find. hoping it won't be noticed by other hunters due to the brush camo.

This required 2 pickup loads of big sage brush wired to a roll wooden slat snow fence, supported by "T" post driven into the ground. There is only 1 load of brush in the photo (forgot to take a finished pic). The inside of the blind is lined with weed barrier material to keep it dark inside. The blind is mush more filled in now. total time to construct is about 6 hours, including brush gathering. I already had the fencing and "T" posts so the blind only cost 1 roll of Tie-wire and my labor.

I know full well a blind like this is not needed to kill an antelope. A pop-up blind set out with a few days for the antelope to get used to it works awesome with less work but it was fun and will work great for getting and antelope.

Let know what you guys think.

Attachments

• antelope brush pile.jpg
    antelope brush pile.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 136
  • antelope blind construction.jpg
    antelope blind construction.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 137
  • antelope brush blind.jpg
    antelope brush blind.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 136

Bugger

FNG
That’s really well hidden for not having any tall brush or trees out there. Well done. If the wind is in your favor you’re gonna have a good day!

I have never set up a blind like that but it looks good. I feel ya on effort. Friday I am going out and socking in my panel and layout blinds for the year. Well worth the work, as you know.

JRS3

Lil-Rokslider
That’s awesome.

I have not setup a brush blind for lopes but have many times for WT. in my 20s, when I hunted a lot, I had hoop blinds set all over the woods and really enjoyed hunting in them. When done right, they are highly effective.

Set up a blind on a water hole last year 6 days before opener. By 8:30 opening day I had 3 groups come in and shot buck at 45 yards. I did not brush it in and was worried there would not be one come within a mile...I was wrong!

i wanted to brush it in like yours, but there was nothing to use...lol

Yours looks great! Biggest thing I was worried about was wind.
20230808_132849.jpg20230808_132045.jpg

HiMtnHntr

WKR
That’s an impressive blind. We set our pop up last Sunday. Dug it in and hung brush on it. Hoping for some drier weather.

AshleyWY

FNG
Wow, beautiful setup! It took me forever to find the blind in the third picture--seems like a success to me!

Pardon my naive question since I'm very new to the world of hunting, but would you say that utilizing blinds makes for a more successful antelope hunt, generally speaking, than say, spotting and stalking? Or is it just your preferred way to hunt in the area you have your tag?

AshleyWY

FNG
Wow, beautiful setup! It took me forever to find the blind in the third picture--seems like a success to me!

Pardon my naive question since I'm very new to the world of hunting, but would you say that utilizing blinds makes for a more successful antelope hunt, generally speaking, than say, spotting and stalking? Or is it just your preferred way to hunt in the area you have your tag?
Gosh, pardon my question. I just realized you said that you were preparing for your ARCHERY hunt. That answers my question.

OP
W

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
Set up a blind on a water hole last year 6 days before opener. By 8:30 opening day I had 3 groups come in and shot buck at 45 yards. I did not brush it in and was worried there would not be one come within a mile...I was wrong!

i wanted to brush it in like yours, but there was nothing to use...lol

Yours looks great! Biggest thing I was worried about was wind.
View attachment 748088View attachment 748089
I would have used a blind like yours but I’m trying to hide from other hunters more so than antelope. lol

OP
W

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll think about it. Mostly I’ve never put a harvest pic on a forum. I’m not sure why but I feel reluctant. I did skin the head so maybe I’ll post a skull pic.